Tuscany Women's Trip
experiencing Tuscany with a friendly group of women travelers with a spirit of adventure – just like you. From hands-on cooking lessons to scenic walks to visits with locals, this trip includes in-depth cultural experiences, excursions to medieval hill towns, visits to historic sites, private artisan demonstrations, food and wine tastings and so much more.
OUR WOMEN’S TRIPS are Legendary
Because we’ve been conducting them for years, so we’ve learned just the right balance of exploring, learning, cooking, experiencing and shopping that makes a women’s trip truly extraordinary. From pasta-making and creative stamping lessons to a private wine tasting, delicious cheese sampling and super-fun truffle hunt, each experience is hand-selected and truly something special.
GET READY to Experience Real Italy
We’ve created this trip to be rich in experiences that are not only authentic, but also ideal for women who enjoy travel, fun activities, in-depth experiences, good food & wine and fellowship with like-minded travelers.
Each day, on this fabulously active itinerary, you can also expect to walk. Our walks range from easy/leisure to moderate, and you’ll encounter hard cobblestones, uneven pavement, steps and steep hills. We do caution that this trip is not the right fit for those who have difficulty walking or have a health-related condition that would limit participation and/or impede or inconvenience the rest of the group.
DAY 1: Arrival
- Highlights: Arrival and welcome
Benvenuti in Italia! Upon your arrival at Rome Fiumicino Airport, our private drivers will transport you to the Italian countryside, and your boutique hotel accommodations in the unspoiled village of Città della Pieve. After check in, you’ll enjoy a walking tour of the historic center of the village and its three medieval neighborhoods, followed by a classic Italian aperitivo and regionally-inspired dinner prepared by the talented Chef Vito.
DAY 2: Pienza
- Highlights: Walking tour Pienza, visit to organic mill, saffron experience
- Breakfast, lunch, light dinner
This morning, after breakfast, our drivers will transport you to the Renaissance hill town of Pienza, situated in one of the most photographed areas in Tuscany, where you’ll take a walk along the town’s “passeggiata” lane, with sweeping views of the Val d’Orcia. Once inside the historic center you’ll have some free time to explore and shop on your own. Afterwards we’ll continue to the nearby Mulino Val d’Orcia, an organic, ancient grains mill that produces exceptional flours, pastas and breads. Here you’ll enjoy delightful tour of the mill, followed by a delicious, organic lunch served in the mill’s cozy restaurant.
In the afternoon we’ll return to Città della Pieve for some free time, then we’ll make our way to our friend, Alessandro’s, saffron shop for a private visit where you’ll learn about this fascinating spice, produced in Città della Pieve since medieval times, followed by a delicious saffron tasting in Alessandro’s former wine cantina.
DAY 3: Città della Pieve, Ficulle
- Highlights: Stamping lesson, ceramics demonstration
- Breakfast, dinner
This morning, after breakfast, it’s time to get creative as we meet up with our friend and local artist, Gaetano, for a delightful mini-workshop where you’ll try your hand at hand-stamping – a centuries-old tradition, in Italy. With Gaetano’s expert guidance you’ll make something unique that you can take home with you. Lunch today is on your own (we’re happy to share suggestions).
This afternoon we set off for the unspoiled village of Ficulle for walk around the historic center and a visit to the medieval defense tower before making our way to our friend, Fabio’s, ceramics workshop for a fascinating demonstration of local “coccio”, a terracotta cookware that has been here made for centuries. Afterwards we head to Fabio and Pina’s restored wine cantina (now a cozy trattoria) where you’ll enjoy a delicious, home-cooked meal served on hand-made coccio.
DAY 4: Città della Pieve
- Highlights: Renaissance walking tour, cooking class, shopping
- Breakfast, lunch, aperitivo
This morning, after breakfast, you’ll step back in time as we explore some of Città della Pieve’s historic churches and alleyways, including the narrowest street in Italy! Afterwards we’re off to our friend, Cristian’s, cozy bistro for an invigorating cooking lesson that includes seasonal, organic foods, as well as a look back at the history of foods and cooking in the area. After a tour beneath Cristian’s private wine cantina, you’ll enjoy a classic, Italian-style lunch featuring your culinary creations, of course.
This afternoon, after some free time, you’ll have the opportunity to explore and shop along the town’s charming main avenue. The local boutiques and organic products shops are fabulous! This evening we’ll gather together at a private home for a special aperitivo. Afterwards you’re free for dinner on your own.
DAY 5: Montepulciano
- Highlights: Historic center, wine tasting in 15th century cantina
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner
This morning, after breakfast, we’re off to the picturesque town of Montepulciano, perched on a scenic hilltop surrounded by silvery olive groves and sweeping vineyards that produce the world renowned Vino Nobile di Montepulciano. Here you’ll enjoy a brief tour in Piazza Grande, followed by shopping and exploring on your own. Next stop is our friends’ 15th century cantina for a private wine tasting, along with a delicious, light lunch. Afterwards we make a stop at the spectacular Cathedral of San Biagio before returning to Città della Pieve.
This afternoon, after some free time to relax and recharge, we’re off for an optional afternoon walk around the nearby monastery and park-of-the-pines. This evening you’ll enjoy aperitivo and dinner at our friend’s inviting trattoria.
DAY 6: San Casciano dei Bagni
- Highlights: Visit to archeological site, farewell aperitivo
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner
This morning, after breakfast, we’re off to the hilltop village of San Casciano dei Bagni, where you’ll enjoy a private tour of an archeological site (an ancient Etruscan and Rome sanctuary), and one of the most important discoveries in Italy in decades. After our extraordinary visit, with an archeologist, we’ll make our way to our friend, Daniela’s, restaurant, nestled between the walls of the town’s castle, where you’ll enjoy an exceptional chef-prepared lunch.
In the afternoon, it’s back to Città della Pieve where you can rest, explore and do some final shopping on your own, followed by a special, farewell aperitivo and dinner cooked alle brace (over coals).
DAY 7: Departure
Early morning departure for Rome Fiumicino Airport
- 7 days/6 nights at Boutique Hotel Vannucci
- All sleeping rooms with marble, ensuite baths – no single supplement fee
- Private group transportation to/from Rome Fiumicino Airport on arrival and departure dates
- Private ground transportation to/from all locations included in the itinerary
- All abundant, buffet breakfasts, featuring made-to-order Italian coffee or tea
- 3 lunches at hand-selected cafes and trattorie
- All regionally inspired dinners, prepared with exceptional, seasonal foods and served with wines from local producers
- Activities and experiences to remember for a lifetime
- Accompaniment by team Strada Toscana, along with exceptional locals
- Entrance fees to all sites and museums
- Private, guided walks and tours
- Hands-on cooking lesson
- Wine tasting and lunch in a 15th century winery
- Shopping at unique, local stores
- Ceramics demonstration
- Private tour of archeological site
- Stamping class with local artist
- Free time to explore and shop on your own
- Evening aperitivo hour for chatting, sharing and relaxing with your fellow travelers
Not included: Airfare, meals, alcoholic drinks, buses, trains or boat transportation outside of that which is specifically listed in the trip package, gratuities for villa staff and drivers
ACCOMMODATIONS Boutique Hotel Vannucci
Hotel Vannucci began as a project of Vittoria Spinola, daughter of King Vittorio Emanuele II, who fled Pisa (and an arranged marriage with her elderly husband) to start a new life with her lover in Città della Pieve. Here, she and her soon-to-be new husband, Paolo, built two villas that became luxurious holiday accommodations for wealthy Romans vacationing in the countryside. In 1903 one of the villas became Hotel Vannucci, and today it maintains the elegance and refinement of its inception, with luxurious sleeping rooms, marble bathrooms and inviting gardens. A stay here is truly special, nestled just outside the medieval walls of the historic, and unspoiled, village of Città della Pieve.
DATES & DETAILS
- October 20-26, 2024 – SOLD OUT
- Trip Price: $3,195 – $3,695 (choose room type upon booking)
- Room Descriptions:
- Single: Single occupancy, single bed, private ensuite bathroom
- Classic: Single occupancy, double bed, private ensuite bathroom with walk-in shower
- Superior: Single occupancy, double bed, private ensuite bathroom with tub/shower combination
- Deluxe: Double occupancy, double bed or two singles, private ensuite bathroom with tub and shower (specifically for couples or friends traveling together)
- $700 deposit is required to book your space on this tour
- No single supplement fee
- Terms and Conditions