EXPERIENCE The Difference
With a cutting-edge, off-the-beaten-path approach to travel, and a consistent 5-star guest rating, Strada Toscana is distinct from other small-group tour companies in its extraordinary atmosphere of classic beauty and elegant traditions combined with pure authenticity and insider experiences. Operating exclusively in Italy, and specializing in Tuscany, our stand-out itineraries are refreshingly unique and irresistibly fun. Although you might get your shoes dusty traipsing through a family-run vineyard, later you’ll savor a chef-prepared, gourmet meal …as the sun sets behind the spectacular Tuscan hills. It’s this fabulous contrast – the rustic and the refined – that resonates with one’s soul, and turns a simple Italy vacation into something truly distinct and unforgettable.
Extraordinarily, Strada Toscana has grown into a tour company of distinction, primarily through word of mouth – without solicitation from travel magazines or any major advertising. It is this grass-roots beginning that has helped to maintain a clear vision of authenticity, along with a heart-felt affection for tour guests.
We are a proud member of the Adventure Travel Trade Association, working to preserve local cultures and encourage sustainable travel practices.
ABOUT Strada Toscana’s TOURS
We know that the best way to get to know a place intimately is to walk, so our speciality is walking tours. Because we recognize that each of our guests is fabulously unique, each itinerary includes flexibility and choices for those who prefer fewer steps or more steps.
Each tour is individually unique and expertly crafted, and because we are based where we travel, our team of guests, experts and trip leaders are not only Tuscany specialists, they also live here – some coming from families that date back centuries. This means you can expect delightful, spontaneous experiences with locals throughout your tour.
Our steadfast commitment to treat each tour – and each tour guest – with the utmost respect and attention is unrivaled. Because we recognize that each of our guests is fabulously unique, we include delightful variety of authentic experiences, hands-on activities, spectacular walks and irresistible options for first-time visitors or seasoned travelers as well as single travelers or groups of friends or family.
Travel writers, including best-selling author, Isabella Dusi, and art historian and author, Mary Jane Cryan, applaud Strada Toscana’s travel approach that inspires guests to “explore, absorb, enjoy and feel Italy on a deep and engaging level” and to “enjoy life enhancing experiences …(in) places tourists rarely get to see”.
Perhaps most importantly, Strada Toscana was founded on a mission to bring a sense of wonder back to travel, by acting as a bridge between our guests and the Italian culture, and by fostering a mutual sense of appreciation and respect. We believe these elements not only make vacations memorable, but create positive human to human connections that touch hearts and change lives. In fact, we know it first hand.
MEET PAMELA: Strada Toscana Founder & President
Pamela Haack has been exploring, studying and living in, Italy for the past 20 years – avidly seeking out less-traveled areas, forming steadfast relationships with local Italians, and voraciously mastering the Italian language. Combining her extensive skills and expertise as a public speaker, her studies of Italian history, art and culture and her passion for insider travel, she launched her boutique-style, small group tour company, Strada Toscana, in 2008, with a fresh approach to experiencing classic Italian culture in an in-depth, genuine way. Pamela’s vast local connections, her commitment to excellence and her love for experiencing Italian culture alongside her guests, powers her company vision to bring a sense of wonder back into travel.
In her latest book, The Niche Travel Approach: 11 Keys to Extraordinary Journeys, Pamela reveals some of her best-kept secrets for choosing, planning or creating a transformational vacation.
Pamela surrounds herself with a team of dedicated Italians (never foreign guides or hosts) from expert travel coordinators and delightful local guides to welcoming trip hosts and extraordinary drivers. Although she leads many Strada Toscana’s tours herself, her hand-selected team of Italian tour guides, hospitality providers and local experts is nothing less than exemplary, and her commitment to partner exclusively with local Italians who know the land, the people, the places, the sites, the towns, the foods, the wines (and so much more) like the back of their hand, has led to an unprecedented level of excellence in Strada Toscana’s tour experiences – from friendly aperitivi in private homes to tours of hidden archeological sites, known only to locals.
This stellar on-the-ground team also supports Strada Toscana’s company vision to act as a bridge between guests and Italian culture, while fostering a mutual sense of appreciation and respect. These elements not only make for a memorable vacation, but more importantly create genuine human-to-human connections that touch hearts – and influence lives – in immeasurable, positive ways.
CLICK HERE to Meet the Team
WALKING To Make a Difference
At Strada Toscana we create and host incredible walking tours of Italy. But while we walk for pleasure, children throughout the world are struggling to walk, because their shoes don’t fit – or they have no shoes at all.
That’s why we’re thrilled to partner with the Shoe That Grows, a stellar organization that makes and distributes shoes for children who desperately need them! So when you travel with us at Strada Toscana, we donate a pair of shoes to a child. You walk with us, a child walks in shoes. It’s that simple. Step by step, together we can make a difference.
“You went out of your way to show us more than Italy’s culture, history, and beauty. You showed us Italy’s soul, as reflected in its dedicated people doing what they love, and often following in their families’ footsteps as fine artisans – handcrafting wine, cheese, olive oil, and metal work. The Italians you introduced us to love life, and love their life’s work, as you do. Their passion, and yours, touched us like no other tour, and we’ve had many. Thank you for your warm and heartfelt hosting, which has redefined vacations for us. As you know, our family is already planning another tour of Italy with you, because we won’t go with anyone but you.” —Sincerely, Beverly and Pete Bono
HOW STRADA TOSCANA is Distinct:
- Our signature style of touring is off the beaten path, classic and quintessentially Toscana. We honor tradition and embrace local culture…while enjoying a bit of nostalgia.
- We love our guests! And being our guest is just the beginning. Once you travel with us, you become part of our Strada Toscana family – an exclusive club, so to speak, of discerning travelers who enjoy exploration and discovery, along with gourmet meals and good company.
- Our reputation as an exemplary, 5-star rated tour operator has been built almost entirely by word of mouth. More than 90% of our guests are repeat guests or referrals from previous guests.
- A friendly evening aperitivo hour has become a hallmark of our tours, where you share, laugh and reflect on the day’s events with fellow, like-minded travelers
- We’re Tuscany experts, along with her sister region, Umbria. Our stellar team includes guides, hosts and drivers who not only live in Tuscany and Umbria, but are from families that date back centuries.
- We choose accommodations that beautifully reflect the character of the region, while offering outstanding services, amenities and unexpected extras.
- No buses. Ever. Our excellent team of drivers use 8-seater, Mercedes Benz vans that allow us to access tucked away avenues and traffic-restricted historic centers.
- Tucked away sites and cultural experiences NOT listed in guidebooks are included in each and every one of our tours.
- We only provide tours in Italy (not multiple destinations), and we specialize in Tuscany and Umbria.
- Our maximum group size is 14 – ideal for both intimacy and independence.
- We have your back. Each of our tours includes a primary host, a hospitality host, experienced guides, local experts and professional, friendly drivers who treat you like family.
- Designed to both educate and inspire, our itineraries are also fun beyond your imagination!
- Our relationships with local Italian experts, artisans and guides, who you meet throughout your journey with us, is unsurpassed. They’re not just connections, they are our dear friends, and are sure to become yours as well.
- We advocate for the preservation of centuries-old Italian artistic traditions from fine leather goods to hand-hammered copper to Renaissance maiolica ceramics, and include visits with local artisans on each of our tours.
Strada Toscana – a DBA of Off the Beaten Strada LLC – is a fully insured and bonded travel company registered with the State of Florida as a Seller of Travel. Registration No. ST37452