Traci Owens ~ Fun with Figures in Tuscany: September 4-9, 2024
JOIN TRACI OWENS in Tuscany…
Traci loves to paint intuitively, and with plenty of vibrant colors. Her love of art coupled with her passion to create and capture various emotions is evident in each of her figurative works. She loves to make her figures more playful rather than perfect, and she’s now bringing her “Fun with Figures” workshop to spectacular Tuscany.
“I can’t wait to share my fun and funky way to create your own unique character, as we explore Tuscany together! You can do it!” ~ Traci Owens
ABOUT Traci Owens…
Traci has over 25 years of workshop teaching experience in the US and internationally. She is an international, award-winning, published, self-taught, artist/curator. For the past 12 years you can find her creating from her store front gallery/studio, “Studio eighte02”, in Auburn, California, and is currently represented by three galleries in Northern and Southern California. She has 20+ solo shows under her belt and her work can be seen in wineries, restaurants, and ample shops around northern California, and has recently created a 24-foot mural in Malaga, Spain.
Traci’s work has been featured in the Southwest Art Magazine, North Light Books, AcrylicWorks 6: Creative Energy, and Cloth Paper Scissors. Plus, several hometown issues such as Auburn Journal Front Page, Arts & Culture Guide, Arts Council Placer County Publication, Steppin’ Out Guide Front Page, ACPC Art Guide, Sacramento Wine & Food, SN&R, Placer Sentinel, and Perspectives Cover.
BE INSPIRED BY TRACI as You Learn …
- The possibilities of working with raw canvas
- Traci’s simple approach to start your painting
- How to create your own, unique, figurative character with your style in mind
- How to approach design and layout
- The importance of incorporating repeat patterns
- To recognize the importance of scale and value within a given perimeter
- How to create major shapes in the figure, and learn how to connect them
- How to practice Traci’s facial techniques and expressions
- Traci’s methods of working with acrylic paint
- How to begin your painting by writing on your blank canvas
- How to emphasis and develop a unique background
- How values and color go hand in hand
- Different techniques that can help you achieve more vitality and looseness in your work
- How to use multiple layers of vibrant colors
- Tools and tricks of the trade to achieve shading, depth and dimension
- Ways to incorporate stencil design techniques
- Why a strong, colorful underpainting is the key in Traci’s work
- Simple techniques and tips on how to draw out the face and figure in loose and creative ways
- Ways to compose a compelling figurative layout
- How to mix color using a limited palette
- How applying negative painting techniques can bring out your character
- Additional techniques that help bring your character to life
- Ways to embellish your painting with megacolor pencils
- Ways to complete your work with additional layers of color and stencil work, if desired
Day 1, Wednesday, September 4: Arrival
- Highlights: Arrival, welcome, workshop overview
Upon your arrival at Rome Fiumicino Airport, our private drivers will transport you to the Italian countryside, and your boutique hotel accommodations in the unspoiled village of San Casciano dei Bagni. After check-in you’ll enjoy a walking tour of the historic center of the village with your host, Alessandro, followed by a workshop overview with Traci. Afterwards it’s time to enjoy a welcome aperitivo, followed by a delectable Tuscan-style dinner.
Day 2, Thursday, September 5: San Casciano, Castello Fighine
- Highlights: Instruction with Traci, excursion to the village of Castello Fighine
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner
This morning, after a delicious breakfast, it’s off to the studio, nestled in the historic center of San Casciano, for a morning session with Traci. Lunch today will be served up at Daniela’s restaurant, followed by free time.
This afternoon our drivers will transport you to the nearby hamlet of Castello Fighine where you’ll enjoy a private, guided tour of the tiny village, including a visit to the centuries-old “wash house” and a peek inside the 15th century church – followed by the opportunity to sketch along the winding alleyways of this beautifully preserved hamlet – complete with a private castle as a backdrop. Afterwards you’ll enjoy an aperitivo and light dinner, hosted by our friends Cesare and Grazia.
Day 3, Friday, September 6: San Casciano
- Highlights: Instruction with Traci, archeological site and museum
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner
This morning, after breakfast, you’ll once again join Traci in the studio, followed by an informal lunch served in the studio.
Afterwards you’ll have free time to rest and recharge before joining our friend and archeologist, Ludovico, for a special private tour that includes a visit to the town’s archeological museum and a tour of the newly discovered Roman and Etruscan Sanctuary. This live archeological dig is nothing less than fascinating! This evening you’ll enjoy aperitivo and dinner at Daniela’s.
Day 4, Saturday, September 7: Città della Pieve
- Highlights: Instruction with Traci, shopping, pizza night
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner
This morning, after breakfast, you’ll once again join Traci in the studio for instruction and tutorials, followed by lunch served up at Daniela’s restaurant.
This afternoon our drivers will transport you to the nearby town of Città della Pieve, where you’ll enjoy a guided “Renaissance” walking tour, including a visit inside the cathedral where you’ll find masterpieces by 15th century artist, Perugino. Afterwards you’ll have some free time to sketch on location, or to shop the boutique and artisan shops, before gathering together for a delicious pizza dinner at our friends’ wood-fired pizzeria.
Day 5, Sunday, September 8: San Casciano, Fonteverde Spa
- Highlights: Thermal spa, instruction with Traci, celebration
- Breakfast, dinner
This morning, after breakfast, you’re in for a treat as our drivers transport you to Fonteverde Thermal Spa where you’ll enjoy a luxurious morning of soaking in the hot, mineral rich pools. You might even book an additional wellness treatment on your own. Lunch will be taken on your own at the Spa’s cafe, before heading back to the hotel for some free time to relax and recharge.
This afternoon it’s back to the studio with Traci for a final wrap-up session. This evening you’ll gather together with your fellow students for a celebratory aperitivo, followed by a chef-prepared farewell dinner at Daniela’s.
Day 6, Monday, September 9: Departure
Early morning transport to Rome Fiumicino Airport
VENUE Boutique Hotel Sette Querce
Surrounded by stately, ancient oak trees, family-owned Sette Querce, with its chic decor, combines traditional Tuscan architectural design with light, bright colors. Spacious rooms boast private entrances, ensuite bathrooms, kitchenettes and sitting areas. Breakfast is served here at the hotel, while lunches and dinners are served a short walk away at Daniela’s elegant restaurant, situated at the base of the town’s imposing castle. Here you’ll also find the charming, main piazza that overlooks the stunning Tuscan countryside, dominated by Mount Amiata and the fortress of Radicofani.
- 5 nights stay at Boutique Hotel Sette Querce, San Casciano dei Bagni, Tuscany
- Group transportation to/from Rome Fiumicino Airport on arrival and departure days
- Private transportation service to/from all towns and sites included in the itinerary
- All breakfasts
- 3 lunches
- All dinners featuring regional specialties and accompanied by local wines
- Pizza night!
- Private tour of archeological site
- Excursion to hamlet of Castello Fighine
- Excursion to Città della Pieve
- Visit to Fonteverde Thermal Spa
- Raw canvas (use of easel board and clips)
- Paint pallets, water trays, spray bottles, etc.
- Paints (Amsterdam Acrylics)
- BONUS! AN Original Traci Designed Gift!
- PDF Handout
- Follow up instructional video on how to varnish your work
The Unexpected is Part of the Journey: Sometimes unexpected things come up. If there is unscheduled closing or schedule change, we carefully pivot to include something that is equally as wonderful and interesting, so that the quality of your experience is never at risk. ☺️
- Paint clothes and/or smock!!!
- MANDATORY! Brushes
- Click here to view Traci’s recommended brushes that won’t break the bank!
- RECOMMENDED! Wedge and Blade (Note that Traci will be using the following, but any wedge or blade that you already have is fine.)
- RECOMMENDED! Colored Pencils (Here are Traci’s favorites)
- RECOMMENDED! Your Favorite Stencils (Note that some of Traci’s original stencil designs by Joggles will be made available for sale during the workshop)
Not included: Airfare or transportation, outside of that listed in the trip itinerary, alcoholic drinks or meals ordered “on your own”, gratuities for drivers and hotel staff
DATES & TRIP PRICE
- September 4-9, 2024
- Trip Price:
- $3,970 USD per person, single occupancy
- $3,570 USD per person, double/twin occupancy
- Room Description:
- All rooms are spacious suites, complete with full bathroom, kitchenette, sitting area and private entrance
- Arrival/departure airport is Rome Fiumicino
- View our terms and cancellation policy here