Click or swipe to view the slideshow below!
The Art of Eating: Mixed Media Journal with Elizabeth St. Hilaire: September 9-14, 2024
THE ART OF EATING Mixed Media Journal
Join Elizabeth St. Hilaire for her latest inspirational workshop in Italy! Open to students of all artistic levels, each day brings a new collage, paper-painting or watercolor sketching lesson with Elizabeth, all inspired by Italian foods, from cappuccino to gelato to Aperol Spritz. Although some drawing experience is helpful, it is definitely not necessary.
The Art of Eating Mixed Media Journal is an all-inclusive experience of fellowship, camaraderie and fun beyond your wildest dreams. You’ll be staying in a boutique hotel in an unspoiled medieval village, nestled in the gorgeous Italian countryside. In addition to carefully crafted, daily lessons with Elizabeth, you’ll be immersed in the local cultural, take part in delightful foodie experiences and enjoy exceptional, photogenic meals.
Mixed media journalling is a captivating medium. Incorporating various materials, techniques, and textures, you will learn to transform blank pages into vivid canvases of self-expression. A fusion of food, art, and travel creates pages that reflect emotions, memories, and record the experiences of your trip.
A mixed media journal focused on food is not just a record of travel; it is an open invitation to explore the limitless possibilities of creativity and the art of eating!
LEARN How To…
- Use Elizabeth’s empowering approach to begin or improve your loose sketching
- Explore watercolor washes with fine line detail
- Learn to pencil sketch your subject and keep it loose
- Utilize wine, coffee and saffron washes on your journal pages
- Incorporate art stamping with color wash
- Sketch both on location and from photos
- Photograph food in optimum lighting
- Incorporate collage elements into your work
- Gel print in acrylics with herbs and olive leaves
- Learn to use vibrant color and bold imagery
- Add journaling text to document your trip and your Tuscany experience
- Add traditional Italian recipes to document your cooking experience
- Compose a compelling page layout in your journal
- Incorporate borders as a design element
- Find your own personal style and voice
- Bring home an amazing Tuscany travel journal!
DAY 1 – September 9: Arrival
- Highlights: Arrival, village walking tour, introduction with Elizabeth
Upon your arrival at Rome Fiumicino Airport, our private drivers will transport you to the Italian countryside, and your boutique hotel accommodations in the unspoiled village of Città della Pieve. After check in, you’ll enjoy a walking tour of the historic center of the village with trip facilitator, Pamela Haack, followed by a workshop overview with Elizabeth at Studio 18 – our inviting and roomy workshop space. Afterwards it’s time to enjoy a welcome aperitivo, followed by a delectable dinner prepared by Chef Vito. Plus, during dinner, you’ll learn how to use eye-catching edible flowers and unusual backgrounds to make food more “sketch-able” and photogenic.
DAY 2 – September 10: Studio and Italian Baking Lesson
- Highlights: Instruction with Elizabeth, Italian bakin lesson
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner
This morning, after a delicious breakfast, you’ll join Elizabeth in the off-site studio space where you’ll begin your first Art of Eating mixed media project for your journal – including a lesson on how to sketch your subject and keep it loose. Then, mid-morning, it’s off to Cristian’s inviting bistro for a hands-on lesson baking lesson, where you’ll learn how to make cantucci – a regional dessert, traditionally served with sweet Vin Santo. (The recipe will make a lovely edition to your journal!) After a delicious, organic lunch, prepared by Cristian, you’ll learn to sketch your cantucci in pencil and then firm up your drawing with permanent ink pens.
In the afternoon you’ll have some free time to rest and recharge before joining Elizabeth once again in the studio for both small group and individualized instruction as you begin adding a delightful variety of mixed media elements to your journal. This evening we’re off to a local, wood-fired pizzeria for Tuscan-style pizza – followed by a walk to our favorite gelateria. Grab a photo of your gelato before it melts so you can draw from it back in the studio!
DAY 3 – September 11: Veggies, Cappuccino and Spritz
- Highlights: Instruction with Elizabeth, morning market, coffee bar
- Breakfast, dinner
This morning, after breakfast, get ready for a fun-filled, inspiring day with Elizabeth! First, you’ll be heading to the onsite studio to learn a plethora of methods for painting paper. From stamps to rollers to stencils – and so much more – you’ll be learning Elizabeth’s signature techniques and tips for creating a multitude of designs and textures on your painted papers. Then it’s off to nearby Cafe Matucci where you’ll learn Elizabeth’s expert tips for sketching a classic Italian cornetto with cappuccino.
Lunch today is on your own, followed by free time before joining Elizabeth back in the studio where you’ll continue learning a variety of mixed media techniques to enhance your journal. This evening it’s off to our friends’ outdoor cafe for aperitivo that includes photographing and sketching Aperol and Campari Spritz – favorites at any Italian aperitivo hour! Dinner follows at a nearby trattoria. Be ready to photograph every dish of your meal!
DAY 4 – September 12: Wine, Cheese and Truffles
- Highlights: Instruction with Elizabeth, truffle hunt, wine tasting
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner
This morning after breakfast you’ll have some free time to work on your journal before our private drivers take us to a nearby village for an exciting, morning truffle hunt with brothers Michele and Andrea. Natives of the area, the brothers will take you to a tucked away private forest path where you’ll be joined by talented Argo, a delightful truffle dog, who will amaze you as he scents out truffles from under the earth. After (hopefully) a successful hunt, it’s back to the brothers’ cozy cafe where you’ll enjoy a picturesque gourmet lunch – featuring truffles, of course – that will provide fabulous Art of Eating inspiration for your mixed media journal.
In afternoon it’s back to studio with Elizabeth as fine tune your journal with your own personal style and voice. This evening you’ll head to a private home for a wine and cheese tasting with our friend, Paola – a local wine maker and sommelier. The remainder of the evening is on your own.
DAY 5 – September 13: Herbs and Wrap-up
- Highlights: Instruction with Elizabeth and journal wrap-up, farewell dinner
- Breakfast, dinner
This morning, after breakfast, you’ll be heading to the studio for a full session with Elizabeth that includes incorporating herb-inspired prints into your mixed medial journal. Lunch today is on your own, followed by some time to rest and relax.
In the afternoon you’ll head back to the studio as you put your final touches on your journal. This evening we’ll gather together for a celebratory wrap-up before heading to a restaurant in a former olive press, where you’ll enjoy a special aperitivo and farewell dinner that is both beautiful and delicious.
DAY 6, September 14: Departure
Early morning departure to Rome Fiumicino Airport.
VENUE Boutique Hotel Vannucci
Hotel Vannucci began as a project of Vittoria Spinola, daughter of King Vittorio Emanuele II, who fled Pisa (and an arranged marriage with her elderly husband) to start a new life with her lover in Città della Pieve. Here, she and her soon-to-be new husband, Paolo, built two villas that became luxurious holiday accommodations for wealthy Romans vacationing in the countryside. In 1903 one of the villas became Hotel Vannucci, and today it maintains the elegance and refinement of its inception, with luxurious sleeping rooms, marble bathrooms and inviting gardens. A stay here is truly special, nestled just outside the medieval walls of the historic, and unspoiled, village of Città della Pieve.
- 5 nights at Boutique Hotel Vannucci (less than a two-minute walk from the workshop space!)
- Group transportation by private transportation service to/from Rome Fiumicino Airport on arrival and departure dates.
- Private transportation service to/from all towns and sites included in the itinerary
- All breakfasts
- 2 lunches
- 4 dinners
- Elizabeth St. Hilaire’s in-depth mixed media lessons, demonstrations, presentations and one-to-one instruction
- Mixed media journal to design, personalize and take home with you after the workshop
- Travel-sized watercolor set – yours to keep
- Use of acrylic paints, papers and Italian-themed print materials
- Use of gel plates and brayers
- Daily food-inspired experiences including an Italian baking lesson, truffle hunt (complete with Argo the truffle dog!), wine and cheese tasting, shopping at the vegetable market and gelato serving and decorating demo
- Onsite sketching lessons with Elizabeth
- Food photography tips for capturing your subject to draw later in the studio
- Time on your own for shopping and exploring
Princeton Catalyst #8 Short Handle Filbert Brush for collage glue application.
Paint brush types and sizes are very personal, so Elizabeth asks that you bring your own preferred brushes. If you are looking for guidance, the brushes she suggests are Princeton Velvetouch.
All other workshop supplies are provided!
Also not included: airfare, meals or transportation outside of that which is specifically listed in the trip package, gratuities for hotel staff and drivers
The Unexpected is Part of the Journey: Sometimes unexpected things come up. If there is unscheduled closing or schedule change, we carefully pivot to include something that is equally as wonderful and interesting, so that the quality of your experience is never at risk. ☺️
ABOUT ELIZABETH ST. HILAIRE
Elizabeth St. Hilaire is an award winning full-time artist, art workshop instructor, and published author. She is an Artist Educator for Golden Paints, a former Ambassador for Princeton Brush, and Creative Team Artist for Gel Press. Her work is also featured on Fredrix Canvas packaging.
Her unique mixed-media artwork is created from torn tidbits of hand-painted paper which she glues down over an acrylic under-painting. St Hilaire’s collages are collected and have been exhibited both nationally and internationally. Images of her work are reproduced and available nationwide on wall canvas, household items, stationery, clothing, jewelry, and more.
Elizabeth is a Signature Member of National Collage Society, holds a BFA from Syracuse University, and has been working in her medium for over 15 years. She has published seven books on her process. She also enjoys painting en Plein Air and has participated in the Wekiva Paint Out (FL), New Smyrna Beach Paint Out (FL), and the Sedona Plein Air Festival (AZ).
Visit Elizabeth’s website at PaperPaintings.com
DATES AND DETAILS
- Dates: September 9-14, 2024
- Trip Price: $3,595-$4,195 USD (choose room type upon booking)
- Room Descriptions:
- Single: Single occupancy, single bed, private ensuite bathroom
- Classic: Single occupancy, double bed, private ensuite bathroom with walk-in shower
- Superior: Single occupancy, double bed, private ensuite bathroom with tub/shower combination
- Deluxe: Double occupancy, double bed or two singles, private ensuite bathroom with tub and shower (specifically for couples or friends traveling together)
- A $700 deposit is required to book your space
- Arrival and departure airport Rome Fiumicino
- View our Terms and Cancellation Policy