Click or swipe to view the slideshow below!
Tuscany Landscape Collage with Elizabeth St. Hilaire - September 23-28, 2024
JOIN ELIZABETH IN ITALY!
Tuscany Landscape Collage focuses on techniques and processes for growing and developing skill as a landscape collage painter. Elizabeth will be teaching in-depth, individual techniques, including creating landscape-specific collage papers using the gel plate.
Be inspired by the Italian landscape, and learn to work from photos you’ve taken yourself on a scouting mission in the Tuscan countryside.
LEARN How To…
- create a compelling composition
- transfer a photo to substrate with graphite transfer paper
- transfer a photo to substrate freehand
- create an underpainting with vibrant color and successful shading
- use the gel plate to paint your own collage papers
- paint a variety of collage papers using ten techniques – specifically designed to enhance your landscape collage
- rip and glue–applying your collage paper in a painterly manner
- tear your collage papers with and without white edges
- keep your collage pieces perfectly flat without cockling
- include transitional colors – and when to use them in your landscape collage
- vary your paper brush marks in size and shape
- utilize a variety of techniques for …
- clouds and skies
- various greenery
- water reflections
- Italian cypress lanes
- sign, varnish, frame, wire, and hang your finished piece
CAPTURE the Tuscan Landscape
Tuscany Landscape Collage with Elizabeth St. Hilaire is a unique opportunity to learn landscape collage techniques, surrounded by the beauty and inspiration of the Tuscan countryside – a land that has inspired artists for thousands of years. Plus you’ll be based in a charming medieval village where you’ll enjoy daily, in-depth lessons with Elizabeth, designed to improve your collage skills in unique and exciting ways, no matter your current level. Not only that! Get ready for evening aperitivo hours with your fellow students, delightful excursions and experiences, and delectable, chef-prepared meals.
DAY 1 – September 23: Arrival
- Arrival, workshop orientation, welcome dinner
Upon your arrival at Rome Fiumicino Airport, our private drivers will transport you to the Italian countryside, and your boutique hotel accommodations in the unspoiled village of Città della Pieve. After check in, you’ll enjoy a walking tour of the historic center of the village, with trip facilitator, Pamela Haack, followed by a workshop overview with Elizabeth. Afterwards it’s time to enjoy a welcome aperitivo, followed by a delectable, Tuscan-style dinner.
DAY 2 – September 24: Vistas and Vino
- Highlights: Cantina Murogrosso, reference photos, photography tips, wine tasting
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner
This morning, after a delicious breakfast, our drivers will be transporting you through the picturesque countryside to Cantina Murogrosso where you’ll enjoy a tour of the estate’s small-production wine cantina, followed by an onsite lesson on photographing landscapes. Learn some general (and easy!) tips on good landscape composition, plus how to use your phone’s camera to capture just the right scene and lighting. Afterwards you’ll enjoy lunch in the cantina’s tasting room, along with a casual wine tasting.
This afternoon, after some time to rest and refresh, you’ll join Elizabeth in the art studio where you’ll begin transferring a reference photo to canvas panel. Afterwards we head to our friends’ pizzeria for wood-fired pizza dinner.
DAY 3 – September 25: Painting Papers and Perugino
- Highlights: Studio with Elizabeth, Perugino masterpieces
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner
This morning, after breakfast, Elizabeth will teach you how to tear and glue your gel-printed papers (with and without white edges) in a painterly manner, and how to adhere them perfectly flat to your acrylic landscape underpainting. Elizabeth will guide you through creating skies, clouds, rolling hills, vineyard vines, and more.
After lunch at a nearby cafe, you’ll have a break before heading back to the studio as you begin ripping and gluing your papers to create your own unique Tuscan landscape Paper Painting. In the late afternoon we take a short walk to view masterpieces by Renaissance painter, Perugino – well known for the landscape backgrounds in his paintings. Afterwards it’s off to a our friends cozy bistro for an organic dinner featuring local products and specialties.
DAY 4 – September 26: Techniques and Truffles
- Highlights: Studio, truffle lunch
- Breakfast, lunch
This morning, after breakfast, you’ll be off for an early start in the studio as you begin ripping and gluing papers to create your own unique Tuscan landscape in collage. Elizabeth will teach a variety of her exclusive techniques, including how to apply collage papers in a painterly manner, how to tear with and without white edges, and a variety of ways to render and enhance hills, clouds, vineyards and more.
Lunch today will feature local truffles, served up at our friends’ cozy trattoria, followed by a brief break. This afternoon, it’s back to the studio to continue working on your Tuscan landscape, with one-on-one instruction and assistance with Elizabeth. This evening you’ll enjoy aperitivo in a private garden, followed by a free evening for dinner on your own.
DAY 6 – September 27: Finale and Farewell
- Highlights: Gallery show, farewell dinner
- Breakfast, dinner
This morning, after breakfast, you’ll join Elizabeth in the studio for a full morning session as you bring your landscape collage project to completion. Today you’ll learn special techniques for adding important details that bring your collage to life – including adding depth and shading to greens. Lunch today will be on your own.
In the afternoon you’ll join Elizabeth in the studio for a final session as to you complete your collage landscape project. This evening brings a celebratory aperitivo, followed by a special, farewell dinner prepared by Chef Vito.
DAY 6 – September 28: Departure
Early morning departure to Rome Fiumicino Airport.
VENUE: Boutique Hotel Vannucci
Hotel Vannucci began as a project of Vittoria Spinola, daughter of King Vittorio Emanuele II, who fled Pisa (and an arranged marriage with her elderly husband) to start a new life with her lover in Città della Pieve. Here, she and her soon-to-be new husband, Paolo, built two villas that became luxurious holiday accommodations for wealthy Romans vacationing in the countryside. In 1903 one of the villas became Hotel Vannucci, and today it maintains the elegance and refinement of its inception, with luxurious sleeping rooms, marble bathrooms and inviting gardens. A stay here is truly special, nestled just outside the medieval walls of the historic, and unspoiled, village of Città della Pieve.
- 5 nights stay at Boutique Hotel Vannucci
- Group transportation by private service to/from Rome Fiumicino Airport on arrival and departure dates.
- Private transportation service to/from all towns and sites included in the itinerary
- All breakfasts
- 3 lunches (including a special truffle lunch)
- All dinners with local wines
- Elizabeth St. Hilaire’s in-depth lessons, demonstrations, presentations and one-to-one instruction
- Vineyard aperitivo and dinner
- Landscape photography tips
- iPhone photography techniques
- Canvas panels
- Printing of reference photo
- Free time for shopping and exploring
- Any/all entrance fees
- Evening aperitivo hour for chatting, sharing and relaxing
Princeton Catalyst #8 Short Handle Filbert Brush for collage glue application
Paint brush types and sizes are very personal, so Elizabeth asks that you bring your own preferred brushes to paint your acrylic underpainting. The brushes she suggests are Princeton Velvetouch, if you are looking for guidance. Or you might bring a handful of your own favorite brushes.
Elizabeth also suggests bringing a 9×12 pad of Yasotomo Sketch Rice Paper PLUS any other papers that you might want to incorporate into your work, such as, old book pages, letters, sheet music, postage stamps and personal ephemera.
All other supplies are provided.
Also not included: airfare, meals or transportation outside of that which is specifically listed in the trip package, gratuities for hotel staff and drivers
The Unexpected is Part of the Journey: Sometimes unexpected things come up. If there is unscheduled closing or schedule change, we carefully pivot to include something that is equally as wonderful and interesting, so that the quality of your experience is never at risk. ☺️
ABOUT Elizabeth St. Hilaire
Elizabeth St. Hilaire is an award winning full-time artist, art workshop instructor, and published author. She is an Artist Educator for Golden Paints, a former Ambassador for Princeton Brush, and Creative Team Artist for Gel Press. Her work is also featured on Fredrix Canvas packaging.
Her unique mixed-media artwork is created from torn tidbits of hand-painted paper which she glues down over an acrylic under-painting. St Hilaire’s collages are collected and have been exhibited both nationally and internationally. Images of her work are reproduced and available nationwide on wall canvas, household items, stationery, clothing, jewelry, and more.
Elizabeth is a Signature Member of National Collage Society, holds a BFA from Syracuse University, and has been working in her medium for over 15 years. She has published seven books on her process. She also enjoys painting en Plein Air and has participated in the Wekiva Paint Out (FL), New Smyrna Beach Paint Out (FL), and the Sedona Plein Air Festival (AZ).
Visit Elizabeth’s website at PaperPaintings.com
DATES AND DETAILS
- Dates: September 23-28, 2024
- Trip Price: $3,495 USD – $4,095 USD per person (choose your room type upon booking)
- Room Descriptions:
- Single: Single occupancy, single bed, private ensuite bathroom
- Classic: Single occupancy, double bed, private ensuite bathroom with walk-in shower
- Superior: Single occupancy, double bed, private ensuite bathroom with tub/shower combination
- Deluxe: Double occupancy, double bed or two singles, private ensuite bathroom with tub and shower (specifically for couples or friends traveling together)
- A $700 deposit is required to book your space
- Arrival and departure airport is Rome Fiumicino
- View our Terms and Cancellation Policy