Kathleen Clemons Tuscany Floral Photography - September 1-6, 2024
JOIN KATHLEEN in Bella Italia
learning from an award-winning photographer and renowned workshop leader, while being surrounded by the unique and spectacular beauty of Tuscany. The stunning flowers of this breath-taking region of Italy are your subjects – and your inspiration. This exceptional destination workshop is both a journey into flower photography and an in-depth experience of authentic Italian culture.
ABOUT Kathleen Clemons
Kathleen Clemons is an award-winning photographer, teacher, speaker, author and workshop leader from the coast of Maine. Primarily a nature photographer who specializes in photographing flowers, Kathleen is known for her creative use of natural light and unique, artistic photographs.
Lensbaby has named her the “Georgia O’Keeffe of Lensbaby Flower Photography” and her work is represented world- wide by Getty Images and several other agencies.
Kathleen teaches online classes as well as many location workshops and seminars. She has also filmed instructional classes for Craftsy, CreativeLive, and Lensbaby University and is the author of “All About Textures”.
With a background in education and a passion for both photography and teaching, Kathleen loves to teach others how to improve their photography skills and to see beyond the obvious. See more of her at work at kathleenclemons.com
IN THIS EXTRAORDINARY WORKSHOP You’ll Learn How to
- Choose the right equipment
- Select a subject
- Simplify your compositions
- Control natural light
- Use natural light to create unique, artistic photographs
- Work around less-than-desirable lighting
- Use a reflector and diffuser
- See beyond the obvious in your photography
- Decide where to focus
- Use selective and critical focus
- Choose the correct point of view
- Avoid the dreaded blob blur
- Select the right aperture
- Understand depth of field
- Isolate flowers
- Get even closer!
- Deal with backgrounds
- Recognize distractions
- Embrace the joys of bokeh and blur
- Create double and multiple exposures
- Approach post-processing techniques
- Use textures in post-processing and in the field
- Create your own textures
Day 1, Sunday, September 1: Arrival
- Highlights: Arrival, welcome, workshop overview with Kathleen
Upon your arrival at Rome Fiumicino Airport, our private drivers will transport you to the Italian countryside, and your boutique hotel accommodations in the unspoiled village of Città della Pieve. After check in, you’ll enjoy a walking tour of the historic center of the village with trip facilitator, Pamela Haack, followed by a workshop overview with Kathleen. Afterwards it’s time to enjoy a welcome aperitivo, followed by a delectable, Tuscan-style dinner.
Day 2, Monday, September 2: Puscina Flower Farm
- Highlights: Onsite instruction with Kathleen, Puscina Flower Farm
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner
This morning, after a delicious breakfast, you’ll join Kathleen for instruction, followed by onsite photography as you explore winding, medieval avenues, lined with ancient red brick buildings and dotted with colorful flower boxes – not to mention, stunning panoramas!
After lunch at a local cafe, our drivers will be transporting you to Puscina Flowers, an organic flower farm in the heart of Tuscany’s wine country. Here you’ll enjoy a tour of the vast gardens, with more than 500 varieties of blooms, followed by real-time lessons with Kathleen – all while being immersed in flowers! Afterwards, it’s time for aperitivo and sunset dinner, served up right here on the farm.
Day 3, Tuesday, September 3: Città della Pieve
- Highlights: Instruction with Kathleen, pasta making lesson, pizza night
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner
This morning after breakfast and studio instruction with Kathleen, it’s off to our friend, Cristian’s, bistro where you’ll take part in a lively pasta-making lesson, and private tour of Cristian’s wine cantina, followed by lunch served up on the outdoor terrace, featuring your handmade pasta, of course.
In the afternoon, you’ll have a chance to rest and relax before joining Kathleen for instruction. This evening you’ll enjoy a friendly aperitivo at a private location, followed by pizza at a local, wood-fired pizzeria.
Day 4, Wednesday, September 4: Puscina Flower Farm
- Highlights: Puscina Flower Farm, onsite instruction with Kathleen
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner
After breakfast this morning at the hotel, you’ll join Kathleen for studio instruction – both group and individual, followed by lunch at a nearby cafe.
In the afternoon, you’ll return to Puscina Flower Farm for additional on-site flower photography with Kathleen. Afterwards we’ll make a stop at a stunning Renaissance cathedral for some gorgeous sunset shots, before returning to Città della Pieve for a delicious dinner cooked alle brace (over coals) at our friends’ cozy trattoria.
Day 5, Thursday, September 5: Città della Pieve
- Highlights: Shooting in the village, saffron tasting
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner
This morning, after breakfast, it’s off with Kathleen for onsite instruction as you wander the medieval avenues, capturing textures and practicing the techniques you’ve been learning. You might also photography inside the town’s beautiful cathedral with its incredible faux marble and Renaissance masterpieces. In late morning, we’re off to Alessandro’s saffron shop for a private visit plus saffron tasting and light lunch – delicious!
In the afternoon, you might grab some last shots in the village before joining Kathleen for a final, wrap-up session. Aperitivo follows, in a private location, followed by a special farewell dinner served up by Chef Vito.
Day 6, Friday, September 6: Departure
Early morning transport to Rome Fiumicino Airport
VENUE Boutique Hotel Vannucci
Hotel Vannucci began as a project of Vittoria Spinola, daughter of King Vittorio Emanuele II, who fled Pisa (and an arranged marriage with her elderly husband) to start a new life with her lover in Città della Pieve. Here, she and her soon-to-be new husband, Paolo, built two villas that became luxurious holiday accommodations for wealthy Romans vacationing in the countryside. In 1903 one of the villas became Hotel Vannucci, and today it maintains the elegance and refinement of its inception, with luxurious sleeping rooms, marble bathrooms and inviting gardens. A stay here is truly special, nestled just outside the medieval walls of the historic, and unspoiled, village of Città della Pieve.
- 5 nights stay at Boutique Hotel Vannucci, Città della Pieve
- Group transportation to/from Rome Fiumicino Airport on arrival and departure days
- Private transportation service to/from all towns and sites included in the itinerary
- All breakfasts
- 3 lunches
- 4 dinners featuring regional specialties and accompanied by local wines
- Pasta making lesson
- Saffron tasting
- Pizza night!
- Two excursions to an organic flower farm in the Tuscany countryside
- Guided walks
- Daily instruction and hands-on practice with Kathleen, both small-group and individual
- Entrance fees to all sites included in trip itinerary
- Daily accompaniment with a Strada Toscana team host or guide
- Restaurant gratuities
Not included: Airfare or transportation, outside of that listed in the trip itinerary, alcoholic drinks or meals ordered “on your own”, gratuities for drivers and hotel staff
The Unexpected is Part of the Journey: Sometimes unexpected things come up. If there is unscheduled closing or schedule change, we carefully pivot to include something that is equally as wonderful and interesting, so that the quality of your experience is never at risk. ☺️
DATES & PRICES
- September 1-6, 2024
- Trip Price: $3,795 USD – $4,295 USD per person (choose room type upon booking)
- Room Descriptions:
- Single: Single occupancy, single bed, private ensuite bathroom
- Classic: Single Occupancy, double bed, private ensuite bathroom with walk-in shower
- Deluxe: Single Occupancy, double bed, private ensuite bathroom with tub/shower combination
- Deluxe Double: Double occupancy, double bed or two singles, private ensuite bathroom with tub and shower (specifically for couples or friends traveling together)
- $700 deposit is required to secure your space on this workshop
- Arrival/departure airport is Rome Fiumicino
- View our terms and cancellation policy here