Kathleen Clemons Photography Workshop Italy
JOIN KATHLEEN in Bella Italia
learning from an award-winning photographer and renowned workshop leader, while being surrounded by the unique and spectacular beauty of Tuscany. The stunning flowers of this breath-taking region of Italy are your subjects – and your inspiration. This exceptional destination workshop is both a journey into flower photography and an in-depth experience of authentic Italian culture.
ABOUT Kathleen Clemons
Kathleen Clemons is an award-winning photographer, teacher, speaker, author and workshop leader from the coast of Maine. Primarily a nature photographer who specializes in photographing flowers, Kathleen is known for her creative use of natural light and unique, artistic photographs.
Lensbaby has named her the “Georgia O’Keeffe of Lensbaby Flower Photography” and her work is represented world- wide by Getty Images and several other agencies.
Kathleen teaches online classes as well as many location workshops and seminars. She has also filmed instructional classes for Craftsy, CreativeLive, and Lensbaby University and is the author of “All About Textures”.
With a background in education and a passion for both photography and teaching, Kathleen loves to teach others how to improve their photography skills and to see beyond the obvious. See more of her at work at kathleenclemons.com
IN THIS EXTRAORDINARY WORKSHOP You’ll Learn How to
- Choose the right equipment
- Select a subject
- Simplify your compositions
- Control natural light
- Use natural light to create unique, artistic photographs
- Work around less-than-desirable lighting
- Use a reflector and diffuser
- See beyond the obvious in your photography
- Decide where to focus
- Use selective and critical focus
- Choose the correct point of view
- Avoid the dreaded blob blur
- Select the right aperture
- Understand depth of field
- Isolate flowers
- Get even closer!
- Deal with backgrounds
- Recognize distractions
- Embrace the joys of bokeh and blur
- Create double and multiple exposures
- Approach post-processing techniques
- Use textures in post-processing and in the field
- Create your own textures
JUNE 27 – JULY 2, 2021
Day 1 – June 27: Arrival Poggio alla Trese
- Highlights: Group pick up Florence Peretola Airport, transport to Villa Poggio alle Trese trip orientation with Pamela Haack, workshop overview with Kathleen
AFTERNOON: Upon your arrival at Florence Peretola Airport, our private drivers will transport you to the Tuscany countryside, and beautiful Villa Poggio alle Trese. After some time to freshen up and recharge, you’ll enjoy a friendly orientation with trip facilitator, Pamela Haack, followed by an overview of this fabulous photography workshop with Kathleen Clemons. Afterwards you’ll have some time to explore the villa and grounds with your fellow students.
EVENING: Tuscan-style apertivo followed by a delectable welcome dinner (3-4 courses with wine)
Day 2 – June 28: Puscina Flowers Farm
- Highlights: Pick up for Puscina Flowers farm, instruction with Kathleen and photography at Puscina, wine tasting
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner
MORNING: After a delicious breakfast, it’s off to Puscina Flowers, an organic flower farm in the heart of Tuscany’s wine country. Here you’ll enjoy a tour of the vast gardens, with more than 500 varieties of blooms, followed by real-time lessons with Kathleen – all while being immersed in flowers! Afterwards, it’s time for a Tuscan-style lunch prepared by the family.
LUNCH: Puscina Flowers Farm
AFTERNOON: After lunch it’s time to collect some flowers and head back to the villa for continued small-group and individualized instruction with Kathleen. Then it’s off to the villa’s cantina for a casual wine tasting with Paola, where you’ll have a chance to sit back, relax and reflect on the day with Kathleen and your fellow students.
EVENING: Chef-prepared dinner at the villa (3-4 courses with wine)
Day 3 – June 29: Villa, Castiglione, Chiusi
- Highlights: Instruction with Kathleen, photographing wildflowers, castle visit Castiglione, archeological museum (optional), pizza night
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner
MORNING: This morning after breakfast you’ll enjoy exhilarating lessons with Kathleen that center around photographing wildflowers, in the vineyards and olive groves, and along the countryside lanes near the villa. Afterwards you’ll enjoy a picnic style lunch on the lemon terrace.
LUNCH: At the villa
AFTERNOON: In afternoon it’s off to Lago Trasimeno and the medieval hill town of Castiglione. Here you’ll enjoy a tour of the town’s imposing castle on the lake, followed by time to explore, shop and snap a few photos of terra-cotta pots spilling over with geraniums. Then it’s on to the town of Chiusi where you’ll discover Italy’s ancient Etruscan civilization, as well as Pino’s delectable pizza!
EVENING: Pizza night at Pino’s Pizzeria
Day 4 – June 30: At Villa, Le Foce
- Highlights: Villa le Foce, instruction and photography with Kathleens in gardens at Villa Foce, pasta making lesson
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner
MORNING: After breakfast our drivers will be transporting you to nearby Villa le Foce, a historic villa with vast, manicured gardens overlooking Tuscany’s scenic Val d’Orcia. Here you’ll learn the unique history of Le Foce and enjoy time with Kathleen photographing the amazing variety of flowers and plants in the estate’s gardens. Afterwards, you’ll return to the villa for lunch on the terrace.
LUNCH: At villa
AFTERNOON: In afternoon, you’ll enjoy continued instruction time with Kathleen. Then it’s time to don an apron for a delightful pasta-making lesson with our own chef Doriana. Learn Doriana’s secrets for making the perfect pasta, and for pairing it with just the right sauce.
EVENING: Aperitivo followed by dinner (3-4 courses with wine)
Day 5 – July 1: Puscina Flowers Farm, Montepulciano
- Highlights: Puscina Flowers Farm, instruction with Kathleen, Montepulciano
- Breakfast and dinner
MORNING: After breakfast it’s off the Puscina Flowers for follow-up, on-site lessons with Kathleen, as you immerse yourself in the beauty of the flowers of Tuscany. Afterwards, you’ll continue to the fortressed, medieval hill town of Montepulciano. Here you can grab lunch on your own, and enjoy some free time for exploring, shopping and photographing Montepulciano’s charming alleyways and breath-taking panoramas.
LUNCH: On your own in Montepulciano
AFTERNOON: In afternoon, it’s back to the villa for a wrap-up session and image critique with Kathleen. Afterwards, you’ll enjoy a leisurely olive grove walk, followed by fireside bruschetta-making and celebratory apertivo.
EVENING: Special farewell dinner (3-4 courses with wine)
Day 6 – July 2: Departure
Transport to Florence Peretola Airport
VENUE Villa Poggio alle Trese
Poggio alle Trese has been a part of a family estate for four centuries – an estate that includes stunning olive groves, sweeping vineyards and a precious little lake tucked into the nearby forest. The villa itself sits upon the very border of Tuscany and Umbria, an area that was prone to invasions by the Duke of Tuscany (back when feudal battles were the norm), and was lovingly restored by the family 12 years ago. The renovation included updates and redos to the kitchens, bedrooms and bathrooms – all done with classy, traditional touches. The result is a stately structure that reflects its history with grace, while it beckons to modern-day guests who love sumptuous sleeping rooms with characteristic touches.
- 5 nights stay at elegant Villa Poggio alle Trese (The entire villa is reserved exclusively for Kathleen’s group!)
- Transportation to/from Florence Peretola Airport on arrival and departure days
- Private Mercedes Benz van service to/from all towns and sites included in the itinerary
- All breakfasts with a multitude of delicious choices, plus teas, juices and made-to-order Italian coffee
- 4 delicious lunches featuring regional specialties and accompanied by local wines
- 5 delectable dinners featuring regional specialties and accompanied by local wines
- Daily instruction and hands-on practice with Kathleen, both small-group and individual
- Entrance fees to all sites included in trip itinerary
- Daily accompaniment with a Strada Toscana team host or guide
- Restaurant gratuities
Not included: Airfare, ground or water transportation outside of that listed in the trip itinerary, alcoholic drinks, wines or meals ordered “on your own”, gratuities for drivers and villa staff
The Unexpected is Part of the Journey: At Strada Toscana we weave amazing, authentic experiences into every trip, but sometimes unexpected things come up – like an unscheduled closing at a site or restaurant. If that happens, which it rarely does, we improvise to include something equally as wonderful and interesting. The quality of your experience is never at risk, as our team is committed to excellence, along with our vast connections of local Italians.
DATES & PRICES: 6 Days/5 Nights
- June 27 – July 2, 2021
- Trip Price:
- $3,670 USD per person, private room with ensuite bathroom
- $3,470 USD per person, private room with shared bathroom (max 2 of same gender per bathroom)
- Room selection presented upon booking
- $500 deposit plus 7 monthly payments (automatically charged to the same credit card) – available for a limited time
NOW OPEN! Contact Us