Fiori della Toscana with Alicia Schwede
FIORI DELLA TOSCANA with Alicia Schwede
Join Alicia for an immersion into the beauty of flowers at her exclusive floral design workshop in Italy. Get ready to learn Alicia’s expert strategies, insider techniques and must-know tips for designing stunning floral arrangements and installments, in a setting that has inspired countless creatives for centuries. All this while you enjoy spectacular side trips into the Tuscan countryside, delectable chef-prepared meals and unforgettable cultural experiences.
As the founder of Flirty Fleurs, an amazing blog and design company that Alicia created to share the best of the floral industry with other floral designers, Alicia’s experience in all-things-floral is always evident. From Instagram lives to extensive blog posts to print publications, her knowledge and easy-going manner makes learning from her a true joy! Check out Flirty Fleurs to learn more!
A NOTE from Alicia
“Sharing my love of flowers is where I find one of my greatest joys. For me, the special reward is when a student has an a-ha moment, or when they complete an arrangement, or when they share their beautiful new arrangement with others. I also enjoy watching connections being made in my classes, new friendships formed – it is very important to me to create an environment where people connect and feel welcome. I love what I do, whether it is designing flowers for a sweet bride, writing about the flower industry, or teaching fellow flower lovers, and I am thankful everyday for this flower filled journey I’m on.”
LEARN HOW TO…
- design large scale arrangements in Alicia’s distinct, breath-taking style
- create a low, flowing centerpiece in a compote vessel (the bell of the ball!)
- design a lush bridal bouquet with fresh roses from the villa’s garden
- create an armature of forged branches – even grape vine stock from the vineyard – as the base of a bridal bouquet
- design a stunning installation on an archway or gazebo
- create a tablescape with mixed-matched containers to achieve a cohesive, flowing effect (the secret of a stunning tablescape!)
- choose containers that compliment your flowers and desired effect
- best ways to prepare a vessel for arranging
- design adorable, wearable floral pieces (you’re going to love this session!)
- handle flowers the proper way from start to finish
- photograph your arrangements from the correct angle for a smart, professional look (essential for social media)
- apply Alicia’s tips and tricks for sharing images of your work on Instagram
Day 1: Arrival
- Highlights: Group pick-up Rome Fiumicino Airport, welcome and workshop overview with Alicia
Upon your arrival at Rome Fiumicino Airport, our private drivers will transport you to the Italian countryside, and your boutique hotel accommodations in the unspoiled village of Città della Pieve. After check in, you’ll enjoy a walking tour of the historic center of the village before gathering together for a workshop overview with Alicia. This evening you’ll enjoy aperitivo, followed by dinner prepared by the talented Chef Vito.
Day 2: Puscina Flower Farm
- Highlights: Tour and flower-gathering at Puscina Flower Farm, onsite instruction with Alicia
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner
This morning, after breakfast, our drivers with transport you through the stunning Tuscan landscape as you make your way to beautiful Puscina Flower Farm – run by sisters Laura and Teresa. Here you’ll enjoy an up-close tour of the gardens, which feature hundreds of varieties of organically grown flowers, followed by time to cut your own stems. Then it’s back to the farm’s light-filled workshop space for hands-on instruction with Alicia. Afterwards you’re in for a treat as you enjoy lunch right here, featuring exceptional foods produced on the farm.
In the afternoon, it’s back to studio space for a continued session with Alicia, using the gorgeous blooms you’ve collected at the farm. This evening we’re off to a private home for aperitivo, followed by dinner at our friends’ wood-fired pizzeria.
Day 3: Flowers, Pasta and Vino
- Highlights: Instruction with Alicia, pasta making lesson, wine tasting
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner
This morning, after breakfast, you’ll join Alicia for today’s exciting session to learn her best floral design techniques, using the spectacular spring blooms you’ve collected at the flower farm. Then, just before lunch, we walk to our friend, Cristian’s, bistro for a delightful pasta-making lesson, followed by lunch, featuring your handmade pasta, of course.
This afternoon, after time in the studio with Alicia to continue your floral project, our drivers will be transporting you to a local winery, where you’ll enjoy spectacular views as you forage for olive branches and vines – followed by a wine tasting and light dinner.
Day 4: Flowers and Photos
- Highlights: Instruction with Alicia, stylized photo shoot with Sara Cencetti
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner
This morning, after breakfast, you’ll join Alicia for today’s inspiring class session, where you’ll be working on a special floral arrangement for an afternoon photo shoot.
Lunch will be served at local cafe, followed by time to relax before Italian photographer, Sara Cencetti, arrives to begin the stylized photo shoot of your gorgeous floral compositions. This evening brings a special farewell aperitivo and dinner, paired with regional wines.
Day 5: Departure
Early morning departure to Rome Fiumicino Airport
WHO Should Attend
- flower enthusiasts
- floral hobbyists
- beginning florists
- experienced floral designers
- event planners
- wedding planners
- lifestyle bloggers
This is workshop is limited in size, so sessions with Alicia are beautifully tailored to YOUR level of experience!
ACCOMMODATIONS Boutique Hotel Vannucci
Hotel Vannucci began as a project of Vittoria Spinola, daughter of King Vittorio Emanuele II, who fled Pisa (and an arranged marriage with her elderly husband) to start a new life with her lover in Città della Pieve. Here, she and her soon-to-be new husband, Paolo, built two villas that became luxurious holiday accommodations for wealthy Romans vacationing in the countryside. In 1903 one of the villas became Hotel Vannucci, and today it maintains the elegance and refinement of its inception, with luxurious sleeping rooms, marble bathrooms and inviting gardens. A stay here is truly special, nestled just outside the medieval walls of the historic, and unspoiled, village of Città della Pieve.
- 4 nights stay at Boutique Hotel Vannucci
- Group transportation to/from Rome Fiumicino Airport on arrival and departure days
- Private van service to/from all towns and sites included in the itinerary
- All breakfasts with a multitude of delicious choices, plus teas, juices and Italian coffee
- 3 delicious lunches featuring regional specialties and accompanied by regional wines
- 4 delectable dinners featuring regional specialties and accompanied by regional wines
- Entrance fees to all sites included in trip itinerary
- Daily instruction with Alicia, both small-group and individual
- Alicia’s advanced floral techniques, Instagram tips and tricks and more!
- Stylized photo shoot of your floral arrangements
- Tablescaping for chef-prepared meals
- Pasta-making lesson
- Gallery show finale with aperitivo
Not included: Airfare, ground or water transportation outside of that listed in the trip itinerary, alcoholic drinks, wines or meals ordered “on your own”, gratuities for drivers and staff
The Unexpected is Part of the Journey: Sometimes unexpected things come up. If there is unscheduled closing or schedule change, we carefully pivot to include something that is equally as wonderful and interesting, so that the quality of your experience is never at risk. ☺️
DATES & DETAILS: 5 Days/4 Nights
- April 21-25, 2024
- Trip Price:
- $3,490 USD – $3,870 USD per person (select room type upon booking)
- Room Descriptions:
- Single: Single occupancy, single bed, private ensuite bathroom
- Classic: Single occupancy, double bed, private ensuite bathroom with walk-in shower
- Superior: Single occupancy, double bed, private ensuite bathroom with tub/shower combination
- Deluxe: Double occupancy, double bed or two singles, private ensuite bathroom with tub and shower (specifically for couples or friends traveling together)
- A $700 deposit is required to secure your space on this workshop
- Arrival/departure airport is Rome Fiumicino
- See our Terms and Cancellation Policy