Click or swipe to view the photo gallery below
Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast
Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast … A Walking and Cultural Experience
Get ready to experience to the breathtaking Sorrentine Peninsula, along with excursions to Capri, Positano – and even Pompeii!
Ahhh, the Sorrento Coast….where jagged mountains plunge their way to the sea, magnificent villas cling to cliff-sides and colorful fishing boats bob atop impossibly turquoise waters. A land like this can’t be “seen”, it must be experienced – taken in with all of your senses.
Each day of this special tour brings the ideal combination of guided excursions, invigorating walks, private visits, on-your-own options and a healthy dose of spontaneity – so that you can fully immerse yourself in the regional cultural and stunning beauty of the Sorrento Coast – and environs.
- At Villa Pizzo – your private villa accommodations tucked into a vast, historic lemon grove that meets the Bay of Naples – you’ll enjoy aperitivi on the rooftop terrace, delightful cooking lessons, wine tastings overlooking Mt. Vesuvius, spectacular walks, evening get-togethers and incredible meals featuring delectable specialties of this region.
- On the Isle of Capri you’ll walk in the footsteps of Roman Emperors along seaside mule-trails that weave through Mediterranean forests and lemon-scented hillsides – offering stunning, panoramic views of the sparkling azure sea.
- You’ll arrive in Positano after a private boat tour along the stunning coastline, then meander narrow avenues, lined with chic shops and fascinating museums – and those views!
- In Sorrento you’ll explore a maze of narrow, medieval avenues, while learning the fascinating history of this unique corner of Italy, before dining on delectably fresh seafood in Sorrento’s yacht-studded harbor.
- In Pompeii you’ll step back in time 2,000 years as you explore ancient, jaw-dropping Roman ruins – eerily preserved beneath the fallen ash of Mount Vesuvius.
- And that’s just the beginning…
Stunningly Beautiful and Endlessly Fascinating
Presented by Strada Toscana, with exceptional trip leader, Pia Ruoppo, and local guide, Sasha Bianco, Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast includes spectacular excursions, hands-on activities, behind-the-scenes looks into local culture, meaningful shared experiences, friendly aperitivo hours, delectable meals, featuring local cuisine – and so much more. Get ready to immerse yourself in the beauty and culture of one of Italy’s most spectacular regions – all while staying at a private villa, tucked into a historic lemon grove.
- Private, historic villa accommodations
- Delectable dinners in a scented lemon grove (heavenly)
- Regional-style cooking classes (so fun!)
- Insider experiences and visits with locals (the real deal!)
- Scenic boats rides to Capri and Positano
- Exclusive access to seaside terraces (oh, the views!!)
- Evening aperitivo hours with stunning panoramas
- Side trip to Pompeii (beyond fascinating!)
- Artisan demonstrations
- Free time for shopping or exploring on your own (of course!)
- Invigorating, scenic walks (with views that will take your breath away)
- Private, local guides (a must!)
- Visits to tucked away churches and lesser-known sites (we love getting off the beaten path)
- Delectable local cuisine, featuring to-die-for seafood from the Mediterranean Sea
- Enchanting histories and intriguing local folklore (after all, you’re hanging out with locals)
- Like-minded travelers with a spirit of adventure
- Sweeping views of the Mediterranean Sea and the Bay of Naples
- Get-togethers for sharing, chatting and making new friends (that’s what it’s all about!)
Day 1, Sunday: Arrival
- Arrival Villa Pizzo, tour of lemon grove, aperitivo, trip orientation
Benvenuti! Sit back and relax as you’re transported, along with your fellow travelers, from Napoli Centrale train station to the stunning Sorrento Coast and your historic villa accommodations, nestled in a centuries-old lemon grove. After arrival at Villa Il Pizzo you’ll have an opportunity to explore your surroundings before enjoying a tour of the villa and lemon grove with your delightful local host, Pia. The history of this place – and this region of Italy – is unique, fascinating and oh-so-beautiful! After settling in, it’s time for a friendly aperitivo on the rooftop before enjoying a delicious, regional-style dinner. Honestly, the food in this region is beyond delicious!
Day 2, Monday: Sorrento
- Private walking tour of Sorrento, shopping time, limoncello lesson, seaside aperitivo
- Breakfast and dinner
This morning, after a delicious, healthy breakfast that includes fresh yogurt, fruits, citrus, local breads, torte and so much more, you’ll be making your way to Sorrento’s charming historic center. Here you’ll explore Sorrento’s alleyways, churches and historic sites with our friend, and exceptional local guide, Sasha, before enjoying free time to shop and a meander the town’s narrow alleyways lined with charming shops – including the famed sandal-makers and lemon vendors who sell everything from lemon soaps to limoncello. Lunch on your own can be taken at any number of Sorrento’s inviting trattorie. (Or course your guide will be happy to point out his favorites.)
In afternoon you’ll make your way back to the villa for a bit of free time to relax and refresh before heading with Pia along a hidden passageway that leads to a stunning cliffside park overlooking the sea. Enjoy a friendly aperitivo with an oh-so-fun limoncello-making lesson – although it will be hard to pay attention with the spectacular panorama of the Bay of Naples and Mount Vesuvius in the background. A living postcard! Afterwards you’ll continue to charming Marina Grande, one of Sorrento’s romantic port-side neighborhoods, with its charming fishing boats and seaside houses, where you’ll enjoy a delectable, seaside dinner at our friends’ restaurant.
Day 3, Tuesday: Isle of Capri
- Ferry to Isle of Capri, walking tour of Capri & Anacapri, Mount Solaro chairlift
- Breakfast and dinner
This morning after an early breakfast at the villa, get your camera ready, as you’re off with Sasha on a panoramic, 20 minute ferry ride to the famous island of Capri. After riding up to the village of Capri on the famed funicular, you’ll explore the narrow alleyways (once mule trails, turned trendy avenues) as you take in stunning views of the yacht-studded harbor below and learn the ancient history of the island. Next you’ll shuttle across the island to Anacapri, where Sasha will take you to to visit one of the most beautiful, tiny churches in Italy. Its hand-painted tile floors will bowl you over!
After lunch on your own, you might hop on the chairlift for a panoramic, 12 minute ride to the summit of Mont Solaro – or opt to shop your way through Anacapri instead. Either way, you’re in for incredible views that stretch across the sea to the mainland. After a full day of exploring, it’s back to the port for a brief ferry ride back to Sorrento. This evening you’ll enjoy an aperitivo in the lemon grove, followed by a delicious Mediterranean inspired dinner at the villa.
Day 4, Wednesday: Pompeii
- Guided tour of Pompeii, aperitivo on the rooftop terrace
- Breakfast and dinner
This morning after breakfast it’s off with your private driver and guide to the incredible archeological site at Pompeii! Nothing can prepare you for the amazing sights and discoveries of Pompeii. Here you’ll learn the fascinating history of this ancient Roman city (frozen in time after the eruption of Mount Vesuvius), along with plenty of mysteries – as you walk the maze of avenues and alleys, and explore the ruins of temples, villas and more. You’ll enjoy lunch on your own at the park, and in the afternoon you’ll return to the villa with a camera filled with photos and a heart filled with wonder – straight from the ancient Romans.
In late afternoon, you might enjoy a walk along the seaside promenade near the villa, or relax with a book on the terrace. Then it’s time for aperitivo, followed by a regionally inspired dinner, served up in Villa Pizzo’s regal dining hall.
Day 5, Thursday: Positano
- Boat ride and coast tour, guided tour Positano, archeological museum, pizza night
- Breakfast and dinner
After another delicious breakfast at the villa, it’s off to Marina Piccola to board your private boat for a spectacular ride along the Sorrentine coastline, all the way to the romantic cliffside village of Positano. Along the way, you’ll explore tiny, azure coves and see the many stupendous villas facing the sea. As you arrive in Positano, take in the shape of this seaside village that spills from the mountains right down to the beach. Here you’ll have time to explore and shop, and have a look inside Positano’s must-see cathedral and archeological museum. Stunning! Plus Positano’s steep, inviting avenues are lined with shops selling everything from jewelry to sandals to ceramics.
Enjoy lunch on your own, then make a stop at a seaside gelateria before hopping on your private boat to head back to Sorrento. This evening you’ll walk to a nearby pizzeria for an easy-going aperitivo and pizza dinner after a long, fantastic day of exploration.
Day 6, Friday: Sorrento & Environs
- Beach time, free time, Pia’s fattoria, cooking lesson, farewell dinner
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner
This morning you’ll enjoy another abundant breakfast you can enjoy the morning as you please. Perhaps you’d like to head to the nearby private beach to dip your toes in the Mediterranean Sea, or maybe you’d prefer some shopping and exploring in Sorrento (The region’s hand-crafted sandals are not only famous, but irresistible. All those colors and styles!), or maybe a leisurely morning of relaxation is more your style – the choice is yours. A light buffet lunch will be served up at the villa, or perhaps you’d prefer lunch on your own in Sorrento.
In afternoon, it’s off with Pia to her family’s mountainside fattoria for a private tour of this special family-run farm time. Then it’s time to don an apron for a delightful cooking lesson (optional – but highly recommended!) that includes regional specialties and family recipes. Learn how citrus – in particular, lemon – influences the cuisine of Sorrento, and why fresh and local is the secret to some of the best food in all of Italy! Enjoy a delightful aperitivo, together with your new-found friends, and take in those stunning views as the sun sets over the Bay of Naples. This evening’s farewell dinner will be served up at the fattoria, featuring the dishes you’ve helped prepare – and more!
Back at the villa, you’ll take in the starry skies over Sorrento, one more time, as we reflect back on this magical week spent together.
Day 7, Saturday: Departure
This morning our driver will be transporting you to Napoli Centrale train station.
TRIP DETAILS: Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast
- 7 Days/6 Nights
- October 4-10, 2020
- Trip Price:
- $2,950 USD per person. Double occupancy or single occupancy rooms are available
- $500 Deposit required to secure your space on the trip – plus four monthly payments of $612.50.
Your accommodation are 17th Villa Il Pizzo – privately owned by the original family – situated in the center of one of Sorrento’s most historic lemon groves. Flooring throughout the villa is colorful, hand-painted, ceramic tiles – a centuries-old tradition of the area, while sleeping rooms boast strikingly tall windows and a variety of family antiques. Outside areas include a park-like garden with a variety of native plants, sitting areas under the lemon trees, a panoramic terrace that overlooks the lemon grove and a stunning, 4th story rooftop terrace with sweeping views of Vesuvius and the Bay of Naples. View photo gallery.
- 7 days/6 nights at historic Villa Il Pizzo
- Private group transportation to/from Napoli Centrale train station on arrival and departure days
- Ground and boat transportation to/from all towns and sites included in the itinerary
- All abundant breakfasts, featuring pastries, yogurts, cheeses, seasonal fruits, cereal, fresh eggs, cold cuts plus Italian caffè, cappuccino and herbal teas
- One buffet-style lunch
- All regionally inspired dinners with local wines
- Evening aperitivo hour for chatting, sharing and relaxing
- Excursions to Capri, Positano and Pompeii
- Private, local guides for all excursions and walking tours
- Coastal tour by private boat
- Entrance fees to museums and historic sites
- Lemon grove tour
- Hands-on cooking lessons
- Limoncello lesson
- Pizza night
- Entrances to museums and churches
- Access to a local, private beach
- Time on your own for exploring, relaxing or shopping
Not included: Airfare, meals, alcoholic drinks, buses, trains or boat transportation outside of that which is specifically listed in the trip package, gratuities for villa staff and drivers
The Unexpected is Part of the Journey: At Strada Toscana we weave amazing, authentic experiences into every trip, but sometimes unexpected things come up. If a site has an unscheduled closing, we improvise to include something equally as wonderful and interesting. The quality of the trip is never at risk, as our team – which includes our vast, local connections – is always committed to excellence.
Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast … A Walking and Cultural Experience
Who should join us?
- Couples looking for an adventure that BOTH of them will enjoy
- Solo travelers who love making NEW friends
- Friends who enjoy traveling together and meeting LIKE-MINDED travelers
- Anyone who loves experiencing something NEW and EXCITING and BEAUTIFUL