Click or swipe to view the photo gallery below
Sorrento Women's Retreat
Sorrento Girlfriends’ Getaway
We’ve taken our classic Girlfriends’ Getaway and kicked it up a notch.
Take a deep breath, and fall into the embrace of beauty. This is the Sorrento Coast, where jagged mountains plunge their way to the sea, colorful villas cling to cliff-sides and fishing boats bob atop impossibly turquoise waters. A land like this can’t be “seen”, it must be experienced – taken in with all of your senses.
As you pay visits to Capri, Amalfi and Positano, you’ll walk in the footsteps of Roman Emperors along seaside mule-trails that weave through Mediterranean forests and lemon-scented hillsides – offering stunning, panoramic views of the sparkling azure sea. Sip a glass of Prosecco as the sun sets over the yacht-studded harbor, meander the narrow alleyways – lined with irresistible shops – and dine on delectable, fresh seafood in local trattorie.
Each day brings just the right combination of invigorating walks, private visits, thrilling options and a healthy dose of spontaneity – so that you can fully immerse yourself in the regional cultural and stunning beauty of the Sorrento Coast.
Stunningly Beautiful and Endlessly Fascinating
Hosted by an all-women team – Pia Ruoppo, Pamela Haack and Paola Donzelli – our all-new Italy Getaway for Women includes more hands-on activities, behind-the-scenes looks into local culture and meaningful shared experiences than ever before. Plus, this is Sorrento! You’ll be immersed in the beauty of one of Italy’s most spectacular regions, all while staying at a private villa, tucked into a historic lemon grove.
- Private, historic villa accommodations
- Delectable dinners in scented lemon grove (heavenly)
- Regional-style cooking classes (so fun!)
- Scenic boats rides to Capri, Amalfi and Positano
- Exclusive access to seaside terraces (oh, the views!!)
- Evening aperitivo hours with stunning panoramas
- Side trip to Pompeii (beyond fascinating)
- Artisan demonstrations
- Tours of fascinating historic sites
- Free time for shopping and exploring (of course!)
- Invigorating walking tours
- Private – and delightful! – local guide
- Visits to tucked away churches and lesser-known sites (we love getting off the beaten path)
- Delectable local cuisine, featuring to-die-for seafood
- Sweeping views of the Mediterranean Sea
- Enchanting histories and intriguing local folklore (you’ll be an insider)
- Like-minded women travelers with a spirit of adventure
- Get-togethers for sharing, chatting and making new friends (that’s what it’s all about!)
Sunday, April 12: Arrival
- Arrival Villa Pizzo, tour of lemon grove, trip orientation
Benvenuti in Italia! Sit back, relax and meet your new friends as you’re transported, along with your fellow women travelers, from Napoli Centrale train station to the stunning Sorrento Coast and your historic villa accommodations, nestled in a centuries-old lemon grove. After arrival you’ll have an opportunity to explore your surroundings before enjoying a tour of the villa and lemon grove with your delightful local host, Pia. The history of this place – and this region of Italy – is both unique and fascinating. Afterwards it’s time for a friendly aperitivo with your fellow travelers before enjoying a delicious, regional-style dinner.
Monday, April 13: Sorrento
- Private walking tour of Sorrento, shopping time, limoncello lesson, seaside aperitivo
- Breakfast and dinner
This morning, after a delicious, healthy breakfast that includes fresh yogurts, fruits, citrus, local breads, torte and so much more, you’ll be making your way to Sorrento’s charming historic center. Here you’ll explore Sorrento’s alleyways, churches and historic sites with our friend, and exceptional local guide, Sasha, before enjoying free time to shop and a meander this gorgeous town’s narrow alleyways lined with shops – including the famed sandal-makers and lemon vendors, selling everything from lemon soaps & limoncello. Lunch on your own can be taken at any number of Sorrento’s inviting trattorie.
In afternoon you’ll make your way back to the villa for free time to relax and refresh before heading with Pia along a hidden passageway that leads to a stunning cliffside park overlooking the sea. Here you’ll enjoy an oh-so-fun limoncello-making lesson and demonstration – although it will be hard to pay attention with the spectacular panorama of the Bay of Naples and Mount Vesuvius in the background. A living postcard! Afterwards we continue to our favorite restaurant in romantic Marina Grande, with its charming fishing boats and seaside houses.
Tuesday, April 14: Isle of Capri
- Ferry to Isle of Capri, walking tour of Capri and Anacapri, shopping on Capri, aperitivo in the lemon grove
- Breakfast and dinner
This morning after a delicious breakfast at the villa, get your camera ready, as you’re off with Sasha on a beautiful 20 minute ferry ride to the famous island of Capri. Here you’ll explore the former mule trails, turned trendy avenues, as you take in views of the yacht-studded harbor below and learn the ancient history of the island. Next you’ll shuttle to Anacapri – on the opposite end of the island – where Sasha will take you to one of the most beautiful, tiny churches in Italy. Its hand-painted tile floors will bowl you over!
After lunch on your own, you might hop on the chairlift for a panoramic, 12 minute ride to the summit of Mont Solaro – or opt to shop your way through Anacapri instead. Either way, you’re in for incredible views that stretch across the sea. Afterwards, it’s back to the port for our ferry ride back to Sorrento. This evening you’ll enjoy aperitivo in the lemon grove, followed by a delicious Mediterranean inspired dinner.
Wednesday April 15: Pompeii
- Guided tour of Pompeii, regionally inspired cooking lesson
- Breakfast and dinner
This morning after breakfast it’s an early start, as we’re headed out on a short train ride to the incredible archeological site at Pompeii. Here you’ll discover the fascinating history – along with plenty of mysteries – as you walk the ancient avenues of this Roman city with your exceptional guide -a city frozen in time after the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. After lunch on your own near the park, you’ll return to the villa with a camera filled with photos and a heart filled with inspiration – straight from the ancient Romans.
In afternoon, after free time to relax or take a walk along the seaside cliffs, it’s time to don an apron for a delightful cooking lesson that includes regional specialties and family recipes. Learn how citrus – in particular, lemon – influence the cuisine of Sorrento, and why fresh and local is the secret to some of the best food in Italy. Aperitivo is woven into your cooking time, followed by dinner featuring your dishes – of course!
Thursday April 16: Amalfi, Positano
- Boat ride and coast tour, free time Amalfi, free time Positano, pizza night
- Breakfast and dinner
After another delicious breakfast at the villa, it’s off to the harbor for a stunning boat ride along the Sorrento coast all the way to Amalfi. Along the way, you’ll explore tiny, azure coves and view stupendous villas from sea. As you arrive in Amalfi, take in the shape of this seaside village that spills from the mountains right down to the beach. Here you’ll have time to explore and shop, and have a look inside Amalfi’s must-see cathedral. Stunning! Grab lunch on your own, before returning to the boat as we continue to Positano.
Positano’s steep, inviting avenues are lined with shops selling everything from jewelry to sandals to ceramics. Visit the town’s historic duomo, dip your toes in the sea, or cool your feet – and your taste buds – at a gelateria before our boat drivers take us back to Sorrento. This evening we walk to the nearby pizzeria for an easy-going pizza dinner after a long, fantastic day of exploration.
Friday, April 17: Sorrento & Environs
- Sandal-making demonstration, Pia’s fattoria, farewell dinner
- Breakfast and dinner
This morning you’ll enjoy another abundant breakfast before heading into Sorrento for a sandal-making demonstration with our friend, Nico. The region’s hand-crafted sandals are not only famous, but irresistible. All those colors and styles! After some free time for lunch on your own, it’s back to the villa to enjoy an afternoon of relaxation.
Later, it’s off with Pia to her family’s mountainside fattoria – farm – for a private tour and aperitivo, with more of those stunning views, as the sun sets over the Bay of Naples. This evening’s farewell dinner features some of Pia’s favorite regional dishes. Before heading back to the villa, we’ll take in the starry skies over Sorrento, as we reflect back on this magical week together.
Saturday, April 18: Departure
Our drivers will be transporting you this morning to Napoli Centrale train station.
TRIP DETAILS: At a Glance
Italy Getaway for Women: Sorrento
- 7 Days/6 Nights
- April 12-18, 2020
- A $500 deposit is required to book your space on this trip.
- Trip Price (choose your room configuration upon booking):
- SOLD OUT! $3,295 per person – single occupancy room (double bed) with shared bathroom (no more than 2 women per bathroom)
- SOLD OUT! $3,195 per person – double occupancy room (two single beds) with ensuite bathroom. If you are traveling with a friend, we’ll put you together in the same room.
Contact us and ask to get on the wait list for our next women’s retreat.
Your accommodation for the Girlfriends Getaway in Italy: Sorrento, are a 17th century villa, privately owned by the original family, and situated in the very center of one of Sorrento’s most historic lemon groves. Flooring throughout the villa is colorful, hand-painted, ceramic tiles – a centuries-old tradition of the area, while sleeping rooms boast strikingly tall windows and a variety of family antiques. Outside areas include a third story terrace, overlooking the lemon grove, and a park-like garden with a variety of plants.
- 7 days/6 nights at historic Villa Pizza
- Private group transportation to/from Napoli Centrale train station on arrival and departure days
- Transportation to/from all towns and sites included in the itinerary
- All abundant breakfasts, featuring pastries, yogurts, cheeses, seasonal fruits, cereal, fresh eggs, cold cuts plus Italian caffè, cappuccino and herbal teas.
- All regionally inspired dinners with local wines
- Evening aperitivo hour for chatting, sharing and relaxing
- Excursions to Capri, Amalfi, Positano, Pompeii and more
- Entrance fees to museums and historic sites
- Lemon grove tour
- Cooking lesson
- Limoncello lesson
- Sandal-making demonstration
- Guided tours
- Time on your own for shopping and exploring
- Led by a team of women hosts: Pia Ruoppo, Pamela Haack and Paola Donzelli
Not included: Airfare, meals, alcoholic drinks, buses, trains or boat transportation outside of that which is specifically listed in the trip package, gratuities for villa staff and drivers
The Unexpected is Part of the Journey: At Strada Toscana we weave amazing, authentic experiences into every trip, but sometimes unexpected things come up. If a site has an unscheduled closing, we improvise to include something equally as wonderful and interesting. The quality of the trip is never at risk, as our team is committed to excellence, along with our vast, local, Italian connections.