Click or swipe to view the slideshow below!
Tuscan Themed Fused Art Quilt with Sandra Mollon
TUSCANY with Sandra Mollon
TUSCAN THEMED FUSED ART QUILT
April 28 – May 4, 2024
JOIN SANDRA MOLLON in Tuscany
Infused with inspiration, Sandra Mollon’s Tuscany workshop is a once-in-a-lifetime experience! You’ll create a Tuscan themed fused art quilt, with Sandra’s expert instruction and guidance, while being surrounded by the stunning beauty of Italy.
Along with a Bachelors degree in Science, Sandra has as a background in teaching, so sharing her techniques in a classroom setting is very comfortable for her. She teaches throughout the USA, as well as internationally, and also hosts international quilt tours. In her new class, Tuscan Themed Fused Art Quilt, Sandra is leading an inspirational workshop in the spectacular setting of Tuscany, Italy.
MORE ABOUT Sandra
Sandra is a quilt and textile artist living in Northern California. She saw her first quilt magazine in the late 1980’s, and shortly afterwards began quilting in earnest. Sandra began making very traditional pieces and appliquéd quilts, many winning ribbons. One of her original designs, the “Seasons of Life” quilt won the “Outstanding Large Quilt” award in 2019 at Road to California, and went on to win a purchase award at the 2019 Spring Paducah show. It now is a part of the permanent collection of the National Quilt Museum. She is the author of the book “Seasons of Life Quilt, Techniques and Patterns for 13 Baltimore Album Quilt Blocks” published by C&T Publications, released in 2021.
More recently, Sandra became interested in art quilting and thread painting, and for several years many of her art quilts have been award-winners at major shows, including “Best Wall Quilt” at the 2021 and 2022 PIQF and Quiltfest Greenville in 2022. She was also interviewed about her work on her quilt “Toroweep Overlook” by the Grand Canyon Historical Society, and has written about her realistic style for “American Quilter” magazine (Jan. 2021 issue).
WHAT to Expect…
- With Sandra’s expert guidance, you’ll work to make a lovely, Tuscan themed fused art quilt while enjoying an immersive, Italian experience
- This workshop includes your own kit with fabric, Misty Fuse (TM) adhesive and pattern, so you can easily learn the process of making a fused art quilt – while traveling to this iconic location!
- Sandra will walk you through the entire process, including:
- selecting the right value fabrics
- fusing fabric into place
- adding media, such as, ink and color pencils for added realism
- finishing techniques, such as, how to quilt and face an art quilt
- To help you prepare for the workshop, Sandra will host a Zoom meeting the month before the event.
Day 1 ~ Sunday, April 28: Arrival
- Welcome and orientation
- Aperitivo, dinner
Upon your arrival at Rome Fiumicino Airport, our private drivers will transport you to the Italian countryside, and your boutique hotel accommodations in the unspoiled village of Città della Pieve. After check in, you’ll enjoy a guided walking tour of the historic center of the village, then it’s off to the studio for a workshop orientation with Sandra.
Afterwards you’ll gather together with your fellow students for a friendly aperitivo, followed by a delicious, regional-style dinner prepared by Chef Vito.
Day 2 ~ Monday, April 29: Città della Pieve
- Instruction with Sandra, Renaissance walking tour, bruschetta lesson
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner
This morning, after breakfast, it’s time to join Sandra in the art studio for a full morning of instruction and creativity. After a mid-morning break, you’ll continue your session up until lunch – served at nearby Cafe degli Artisti.
After lunch you’ll have some time to relax and recharge before once again joining Sandra in the studio. Then in the afternoon, we’ll join up for a fascinating Renaissance walking tour in the historic center of the village – including an up-close look at masterpieces by Renaissance artist, Perugino. This evening’s aperitivo and dinner, by Chef Vito, will be served right here in the elegant dining hall.
Day 3 ~ Tuesday, April 30: Montepulciano
- Excursion to Montepulciano, wine tasting in 15th century cantina, instruction with Sandra
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner
This morning, after a delicious breakfast, our drivers will be taking you into the heart of Tuscany’s wine country, and the majestic hill town of Montepulciano – surrounded by vineyards that produce one of the world’s finest wines: Vino Nobile di Montepulciano. After a brief walking tour of the historic center, you’ll have time to shop and explore on your own. Then we’ll meet up to continue to our friends’ 15th century wine cantina, where you’ll enjoy a delightful wine tasting with lunch.
After lunch, we’ll return to Città della Pieve, where you’ll enjoy the rest of the afternoon in the studio with Sandra. This evening you’re in for a treat as we make our way to our friends’ cozy trattoria for an oh-so-fun bruschetta lesson and aperitivo, followed by dinner cooked alle brace (over coals).
Day 4 ~ Wednesday, May 1: Città della Pieve
- Instruction with Sandra, pasta-making class, saffron tasting
- Breakfast, lunch, light dinner
This morning, after breakfast, you’ll get an early start in the studio with Sandra, then it’s off to our friend, Cristian’s, bistro, where you’ll don an apron for a lively pasta-making lesson (so fun!) as you learn the ins and outs of making pasta and sharing it with the right sauce. Lunch follows, featuring your handmade pasta, of course.
In the afternoon, you’ll continue your time in the studio with Sandra. This evening we’ll take a jaunt to Alessandro’s saffron shop where you’ll taste organic, locally grown saffron in a variety of dishes, served with Alessandro’s organic wine. Afterwards you’ll have the remainder of the evening free time to shop, wander or explore.
Day 5 ~ Thursday, May 2: Città della Pieve
- Stamping lesson, instruction with Sandra, pizza night
- Breakfast, dinner
This morning, after breakfast, you’re in for a treat as you’re joined in the studio by our friend and artist, Gaetano, for a delightful stamp-making demonstration and lesson. Afterwards, you’ll continue your lesson with Sandra, followed by a break for lunch on your own.
In the afternoon, it’s back to the studio for a continued session with Sandra. Then it’s off to a private home for a special aperitivo, followed by a pizza dinner at a local wood-fired pizzeria.
Day 6 ~ Friday, May 3: San Casciano dei Bagni
- Archeological site, instruction with Sandra, farewell dinner
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner
This morning, after breakfast, it’s off to the charming village of San Casciano dei Bagni, situated on a hilltop teaming with hot springs. Here you’ll enjoy a private tour of a truly astonishing Etruscan and Roman archeological site (one of Italy’s most important new finds), followed by lunch at our friend, Daniela’s restaurant, nestled between the walls of the town’s castle.
In the afternoon it’s back to the studio for a final, wrap-up session with Sandra, followed by a celebratory aperitivo and farewell dinner served up by Chef Vito.
Day 6 ~ Saturday, May 4: Departure
Early morning transport to Rome Fiumicino Airport.
ACCOMMODATIONS ~ Boutique Hotel Vannucci
Hotel Vannucci began as a project of Vittoria Spinola, daughter of King Vittorio Emanuele II, who fled Pisa (and an arranged marriage with her elderly husband) to start a new life with her lover in Città della Pieve. Here, she and her soon-to-be new husband, Paolo, built two villas that became luxurious holiday accommodations for wealthy Romans vacationing in the countryside. In 1903 one of the villas became Hotel Vannucci, and today it maintains the elegance and refinement of its inception, with luxurious sleeping rooms, marble bathrooms and inviting gardens. A stay here is truly special, nestled just outside the medieval walls of the historic, and unspoiled, village of Città della Pieve.
- Daily, individualized instruction with Sandra Mollon
- 7 days/6 nights stay at elegant Hotel Vannucci
- Private van service pick-up on arrival and departure days (Rome Fiumicino Airport)
- Private van service to/from all towns and sites included in the itinerary
- All breakfasts
- 4 lunches
- 5 regionally inspired dinners, featuring local wines
- 1 aperi-cena (light dinner)
- Wine tasting in 15th century wine cantina
- Pasta making class
- Visit to archeological site
- Saffron tasting
- Bruschetta lesson
- Village walking tours
- Aperitivo in private home
- Pizza night!
Not included: Airfare, meals, alcoholic drinks, or transportation outside of that which is specifically listed in the trip package, gratuities for staff and drivers
The Unexpected is Part of the Journey: Although we are weaving amazing, authentic experiences into this trip, sometimes unexpected things come up. If a site has an unscheduled closing, we improvise to include something equally as wonderful and interesting. The quality of the trip is never at risk, as our hosts at Strada Toscana are committed to excellence, along with their vast Italian connections.
- 7 Days/6 Nights
- April 28 – May 4, 2024
- Trip Price (choose your room configuration upon booking)
- $3,290 USD per person: Single Room – Single Bed w/Ensuite Bath
- $3,590 USD per person: Classic Room – Single Occupancy w/ Ensuite Bath
- $3,970 USD per person: Superior Room – Single Occupancy w/Ensuite Bath
- $3,290 USD per person: Superior Room – Double or Twin Occupancy w/Ensuite Bath (for 2 people traveling together)
- A $700 deposit is required to book your space on this trip
- The Trip Balance payment is due 120 days prior to the trip start date, and will be automatically billed to the same credit card
- View our Terms and Cancellation Policy