To view the slideshow below, swipe left or click on the arrows
Food Styling & Photography in Tuscany with Roberta & Sam
FOOD STYLING & PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP with Roberta & Sam
WHAT IF… you could learn all things food photography in four full days of workshop?
WHAT IF… you could learn not only the theory but also – and especially – the practical aspects of this amazing photography niche?
WHAT IF… you could be a part of a small, intimate group with the expert guidance of two professional food photographers to answer your all questions and erase any doubts?
NOW, JUST IMAGINE…. doing all this in a dreamy place like Tuscany, Italy, surrounded by breath-taking views! And how about shooting on location at a historic bakery in a medieval village and at an organic, Tuscan flower farm?
ARE YOU READY?
Is your heart racing with excitement? There’s just one step separating you from the dream of shooting outstanding photos in a beautiful place, with expert instruction to make you feel confident, happy and proud of your work!
ABOUT SAM ADLER
Sam Adler is a professionally trained pastry chef, Saveur Blog Award winner, food stylist & photographer, and food blogger on FrostingandFettuccine.com. She graduated from Le Cordon Bleu’s Baking and Pastry Arts program in 2013 and started her baking blog as a place to share recipes, which quickly evolved into a love of food styling & photography, and a new career.
She and her recipes have been featured in numerous online and in-print publications including, Taste of Home Magazine, Bake from Scratch Magazine, Cosmopolitan.com and Saveur.com. Sam also teaches food stylists and photographers how to grow their business through online courses.
Fun Facts: Sam lives in Hollywood, Florida with her husband, two young children, and their French bulldog. When she’s not baking and dancing in her kitchen you can find her at her favorite yoga spot.
ABOUT ROBERTA DALL’ALBA
Roberta is a food photographer, food blogger and cinemagraph artist with a passion for homemade food and an obsession for baking. She has a love for texture and attention to detail, and is intent on making her images mouth-watering and appetizing, and as three-dimensional as possible. Roberta has worked with small businesses and magazines, as well as larger brands, including Nikon, Barilla and Samsung. She also offers 1:1 coaching sessions with food photographers and is currently in the creation phase of a unique food photography program.
Fun facts: She currently lives in Parma, northern Italy (despite disliking Parmigiano cheess), she once baked with Italy’s most famous pastry chef, Iginio Massari, on Sky TV program “The Sweetman” and she is obsessed with cats, sunsets, and cardamom buns.
- How to shoot on location
- How to manipulate light
- How to work with both light and dark scenes
- How to utilize natural light
- Food styling and composition
- Color theory, and how it applies to food
- How to style/plate your food
- How to style your scene
- How to create flat lays
- How and when to use different photography angles
- Ways to create an exceptional tablescape
- How to incorporate flowers in a food shoot
- How to style a shoot with antique and found objects
- Storytelling as a part of your your photography
- How to communicate your message through your photos
- Ways to evoke different emotions
- How to edit your photos to make them look amazing
- How to work with brands
- How to set your price
- Ways to keep your business organized
DAY 1 ~ Sunday, March 27: Villa Poggio alle Trese
- Highlights: Arrival at Poggio alle Trese, welcome, workshop overview with Roberta and Sam
- Aperitivo, dinner
Benvenuti in Italia! Sit back and relax as your private driver transports you from Rome Fiumicino Airport to Villa Poggio alle Trese, and the spectacular Tuscan countryside, where you’ll be surrounded by quintessential olive groves, vineyards and cypress-lined lanes. Upon arrival, you’ll take a tour of the villa and grounds, followed by some free time to settle in and explore before meeting up with Sam and Roberta to go over the fabulous schedule for this exciting workshop.
Afterwards you’ll enjoy an inviting aperitivo, followed by a regional-style dinner served up by the villa’s talented Chef Lorenza.
DAY 2 ~ Monday, March 28: Villa
- Highlights: morning and afternoon photography sessions with Roberta and Sam, bruschetta-making lesson and aperitivo
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner
This morning during a delicious breakfast featuring freshly baked Tuscan-style pastries, seasonal fruits, breads and marmalades (plus teas and made-to-order Italian coffee) you’ll enjoy your first session with Sam and Roberta as you learn to shoot a breakfast scene. The morning includes lessons on manipulating light, compositional techniques and color theory, followed by lunch served up buffet style.
In today’s afternoon session with Roberta and Sam you’ll learn how to shoot a savory moody scene in the villa’s grand dining hall. Explore and practice how to manipulate light to create show-stopping dramatic and moody photos! After this full day of learning and shooting amazing photos, it’s time to relax and join delightful, Paola, at the crackling wood fire for aperitivo and an oh-so-fun bruschetta-making lesson. Dinner follows, prepared by the talented chef Lorenza.
DAY 3 ~ Tuesday, March 29: Puscina Flowers Farm
- Highlights: visit and tour at organic flower farm, photo shoot on location, afternoon instruction with Roberta and Sam
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner
This morning, after a delicious breakfast it’s off to Puscina Flowers flower farm, where sisters Mara, Teresa and Laura grow organic flowers in a classic Tuscan setting. Here you’ll take a tour of the gardens, then cut your own flowers for a floral-inspired photo styling session with Roberta and Sam. Afterwards, you’ll enjoy a delicious home-made lunch, prepared by Mamma herself, along with the excellent local vino.
Afterwards, it’s back to the villa for an afternoon session with Roberta and Sam all about editing. Shooting is only 50% of the work, so today you’ll learn how to edit your photos in Lightroom, to bring out their best potential. A friendly aperitivo with your fellow students follows, along with another delicious dinner prepared by Lorenza.
DAY 4 ~ Wednesday, March 30: Città della Pieve
- Highlights: walking tour of Città della Pieve, visit to historic forno, on location photo shoot, pizza-making at Lorenza’s, instruction with Sam and Roberta
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner
This morning, after breakfast, it’s off to the charming village of Città della Pieve for a private walking tour with local guide, Bianca, along the town’s winding medieval avenues, ending at a historic former forno (bakery) where bread and goodies were baked for many centuries. Here you’ll enjoy an on-location shoot – complete with antique bread-baking tools. Afterwards, we continue on to Lorenza’s restaurant for a delightful pizza-making “lesson” and lunch at the wood-fired oven.
In afternoon, let’s talk business! Learn straight from Sam and Roberta how to make money as a food photographer, how to find clients to work with, what to say, and how to price yourself competitively. Aperitivo follows, along with a delicious, regionally inspired dinner.
DAY 5 ~ Thursday, March 31: Cantina Murogrosso
- Highlights: tour of vineyards at winery and cantina, Murogrosso, photo shoot on location, tablescape shoot at villa, Q&A session
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner
This morning after breakfast, it’s off to the picturesque winery of Murogrosso, with its sweeping vineyards, situated near the border between Tuscany and Umbria. Here you’ll enjoy a private walking tour with sommelier, Paola, where you can photograph grape vines, along with grabbing some stunning landscape shots. Afterwards, you’ll head to the cantina’s tasting room for a styled photo shoot with Sam and Roberta, featuring local the cantina’s excellent wines, along with local cheeses and salamis.
After a light lunch, it’s back to the villa to style a tablescape for a gorgeous photo shoot in the villa’s beautiful, arched dining hall. A Q&A session follows, where Sam and Roberta will answer any questions you might have over what they have covered throughout the workshop. Afterwards, you’ll enjoy a special, farewell apericena (aperitivo and dinner combined) prepared by Chef Lorenza.
DAY 6 ~ Friday, April 1: Departure
Early this morning our drivers will transport you to Rome Fiumicino Airport.
Your accommodations are beautiful Poggio alle Trese, a 17th century villa, nestled along the border of Tuscany and Umbria, near the town of Chiusi (Tuscany). The villa boasts a number of living rooms, sweeping terraces for dining or lounging, a swimming pool, an elegant breakfast room and a grand dining hall. Sleeping rooms are furnished with family antiques and offer either an ensuite bathroom or shared bathroom (max 2 guests per bathroom). View photos of Villa Poggio alle Trese here.
- 6 days/5 nights in a dreamy location in Tuscany
- Daily hands-on instruction with two professional food photographers at your disposal to solve all your doubts and answer every question
- Your own photography notebook
- PDF document of exactly what you’ll learn (to be supplied before the trip)
- Instructions on what to bring and how to prepare for the workshop (to be supplied before the trip)
- Group transportation to/from Rome Fiumicino Airport on arrival and departure dates
- Private van service to/from all towns and locations included in the itinerary
- All abundant breakfasts, featuring fresh-baked pastries, organic sheep’s milk yogurt, local cheeses, seasonal fruits, organic cereal, & fresh eggs, plus Italian caffè, cappuccino and herbal teas.
- All lunches
- All regionally inspired dinners with local wines
- Evening aperitivo hour for chatting, sharing and relaxing
- Visit and tour Puscina Organic Flower Farm, which includes a family-style lunch at the flower farm
- “Natural” flower arranging, with photo shoot on location
- Private visit to historic bread forno, with photo shoot on location
- Tour of vineyards and winery, with photo shoot on location
- Bruschetta making lesson
- Wine tasting
- BONUS! $300 off the STYLE Mastermind or $50 off Creative Food Styling Course with Sam
- BONUS! $50 off a 1:1 Coaching Session with Roberta
Not included: Airfare, ground or water transportation outside of that listed in the trip itinerary, alcoholic drinks, wines or meals ordered “on your own”, gratuities for drivers and villa staff
The Unexpected is Part of the Journey: Although we are weaving amazing, authentic experiences into this trip, sometimes unexpected things come up. If a site has an unscheduled closing, we improvise to include something equally as wonderful and interesting. The quality of the trip is never at risk, as our hosts at Strada Toscana are committed to excellence, along with their vast Italian connections.
- 6 Days/5 Nights
- March 27 – April 1, 2022
- A $500 deposit is required to secure your space on this trip
- Trip Price (choose your room configuration upon booking):
- $3,410 USD, double occupancy room with ensuite bathroom (ideal for two friends traveling together, or we’ll be happy to pair you up with another single traveler)
- $ 3,410 USD, private room with shared bathroom (max 2 women per shared bathroom)
- $3,610 USD, private room with ensuite bathroom