The Craft of Paper and Book Artistry with Roben-Marie Smith, October 15-20, 2024
JOIN ROBEN-MARIE SMITH in Tuscany
Join Roben-Marie in the enchanting setting of Tuscany for an inspiring and joyful workshop designed to help you with creative play, building up a stash of amazing art papers and exploring the mixing of different mediums.
Open to students of all artistic levels, The Craft of Paper and Book Artistry is for those who are ready to ditch perfection, get messy and play with no rules. Roben-Marie’s teaching style is friendly and easy going with a focus on having fun and playing with supplies in non-traditional ways.
The Craft of Paper and Book Artistry is more than creative time…it’s time brimming with togetherness, friendship, and sightseeing. All this unfolds in the heart of a historic medieval village, nestled amidst the breathtaking Italian countryside.
Alongside your daily learning sessions and demonstrations with Roben-Marie, you’ll relish captivating outings, exclusive encounters with locals, and mouthwatering culinary experiences.
ABOUT Roben-Marie Smith
Hey! I’m Roben-Marie! I’m a mixed media artist and instructor. My mission is to serve others, helping them to create courageously and express themselves through art and craft. I believe anyone can cultivate their creativity. It’s important to me that I maintain a strong commitment to honesty, integrity and a spirit of giving as I go through this creative journey.
I teach artists from beginners to those who are seasoned through my blog and popular online courses. My art has been featured in countless books and industry magazines and I have shared my creativity teaching in person courses both nationally and internationally.
I live in Florida with my husband of 34 years, and together we work with the youth in our church. I also have a heart for mission work, having served in Panama, El Salvador, Romania and Honduras.
I am the creator and host of the Create and Thrive Audio Summit and The Roben’s Nest is where I gather with my art friends to create and connect.
WHAT You’ll Learn …
During our live, in-person workshop in the stunning backdrop of Tuscany, you will have the opportunity to learn and explore a wide range of creative techniques and concepts.
- Mark Making & Painting: In this workshop we’ll explore mark-making tools and techniques with a focus on neutrals, black and white palettes as well as Roben-Marie’s favorite papers.
- Painted Artist Papers: Dive into the world of colorful mixed media artist papers. Our Tuscany workshop is your playground to explore various mediums and techniques, resulting in a treasure trove of exquisite artist papers, perfectly suited for your art journals.
- Paint and Pass Practice: The popular “paint and pass” practice will be an exciting part of the workshop, allowing students to create collaborative papers with their fellow classmates.
- Collage Techniques: Roben-Marie will share her favorite paper collage ideas. Experiment with different mediums to add depth and vibrancy to your paper creations.
- Bookbinding and Handmade Journals: The workshop goes beyond papers, teaching students the art of creating handmade journals and simple bookbinding techniques.
- Textiles and Slow Stitching: Participants will learn the art of slow stitching and Roben-Marie’s easy methods for seamlessly blending fabric and thread into mixed media journals. The incorporation of fabric and slow stitching will bring a distinct and personal touch to your artistic creations.
- Use of Various Mediums: The workshop will introduce students to a wide range of art mediums, including acrylic paints, pastels, watercolors, pencils, crayons, inks, fabric, threads and more.
- Creative Expression: Throughout the workshop, students will be encouraged to play, slow down and embrace imperfection.
- A Creative Community: Whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned artist, our cozy and inspiring art retreat is open to all creative souls. This workshop is designed to provide a nurturing space where inspiration thrives, and friendships flourish.
Day 1, Tuesday, October 15: Arrival
- Highlights: Arrival, welcome, workshop overview
Upon your arrival at Rome Fiumicino Airport, our private drivers will transport you to the Italian countryside, and your boutique hotel accommodations in the unspoiled village of San Casciano dei Bagni. After check-in you’ll enjoy a walking tour of the historic center of the village with your host, Alessandro, followed by an exciting workshop overview with Roben-Marie. Afterwards it’s time to enjoy a welcome aperitivo, followed by a delectable Tuscan-style dinner.
Day 2, Wednesday, October 16: San Casciano, Castello Fighine
- Highlights: Instruction with Roben-Marie, excursion to the village of Castello Fighine
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner
This morning, after a delicious breakfast, it’s off to the studio, nestled in the historic center of San Casciano, for a full morning session with Roben-Marie. Lunch today will be served up at Daniela’s restaurant, followed by a bit of free time to relax and recharge, or to continue working in the studio on your own.
This afternoon our drivers will transport you to the nearby hamlet of Castello Fighine where you’ll take a private walking tour of the tiny village with our friends Cesare and Grazia, including a visit to the centuries-old “wash house”, a peek inside the 15th century church and a look at Grazia’s ceramics workshop. Afterwards you’ll enjoy an informal aperitivo and light dinner with your delightful hosts.
Day 3, Thursday, October 17: San Casciano
- Highlights: Instruction with Roben-Marie, archeological site and museum
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner
This morning, after breakfast, you’ll join Roben-Marie the studio space, as you continue your creative play, as you explore the mixing of different mediums.
This afternoon, after lunch, you’ll meet up with our friend and archeologist, Ludovico, for a special private tour that includes a visit to the town’s archeological museum and a tour of the newly discovered Roman and Etruscan Sanctuary, situated at the base of the village. This live archeological dig, located at the town’s main hot mineral spring, is nothing less than astounding. This evening you’ll enjoy aperitivo and dinner at Daniela’s.
Day 4, Friday, October 18: Città della Pieve
- Highlights: Instruction with Roben-Marie, shopping, pizza night
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner
This morning, after breakfast, you’ll once again join Roben-Marie in the studio for instruction, tutorials and inspiration. Today you’ll enjoy an informal lunch served in the studio, followed by some free time.
This afternoon our drivers will transport you to the nearby hill town of Città della Pieve, where you’ll enjoy a guided “Renaissance” walking tour, including a visit inside the cathedral where you’ll find extraordinary masterpieces by 15th century painter, Perugino. Afterwards you’ll have some free time to shop the boutique and artisan shops, before gathering together for a delicious pizza dinner at our friends’ wood-fired pizzeria.
Day 5, Saturday, October 19: Fonteverde Spa
- Highlights: Thermal spa, instruction with Roben-Marie, celebration
- Breakfast, dinner
This morning, after breakfast, you’re in for a treat as our drivers transport you to Fonteverde Thermal Spa where you’ll enjoy a luxurious morning of soaking in the hot, mineral rich pools. You might even book an additional wellness treatment on your own. Lunch will be taken on your own at the Spa’s cafe, before heading back to the hotel for some free time to relax and recharge.
This afternoon it’s back to the studio with Roben-Marie for a final wrap-up session. This evening you’ll gather together with your fellow students for a celebratory aperitivo, followed by a chef-prepared farewell dinner at Daniela’s.
Day 6, Sunday, October 20: Departure
Early morning transport to Rome Fiumicino Airport
WHAT STUDENTS ARE SAYING about Roben-Marie
“Roben-Marie’s relaxed style of teaching is very appealing. She helps me go with the imperfections in my art, which makes the process so much more enjoyable, playful, and fun.” -Nancy Tracy
“Roben-Marie is always fun, inspiring, easy to understand and efficient. She is a wonderful teacher.” -Kim Cragin
“Roben-Marie has such a friendly, open teaching style.” -Valerie Orner
VENUE Boutique Hotel Sette Querce
Surrounded by stately, ancient oak trees, family-owned Sette Querce, with its chic decor, combines traditional Tuscan architectural design with light, bright colors. Spacious rooms boast private entrances, ensuite bathrooms, kitchenettes and sitting areas. Breakfast is served here at the hotel, while lunches and dinners are served a short walk away at Daniela’s elegant restaurant, situated at the base of the town’s imposing castle. Here you’ll also find the charming, main piazza that overlooks the stunning Tuscan countryside, dominated by Mount Amiata and the fortress of Radicofani.
- 5 nights stay at Boutique Hotel Sette Querce, San Casciano dei Bagni, Tuscany
- Group transportation to/from Rome Fiumicino Airport on arrival and departure days
- Private transportation service to/from all towns and sites included in the itinerary
- All breakfasts
- 3 lunches
- All dinners featuring regional specialties and accompanied by local wines
- Pizza night!
- Private tour of archeological site
- Excursion to hamlet of Castello Fighine
- Excursion to Città della Pieve
- Visit to Fonteverde Thermal Spa
- Daily instruction, demonstrations and inspiration with Roben-Marie
- Supplies: Click here to download the supplies PDF
The Unexpected is Part of the Journey: Sometimes unexpected things come up. If there is unscheduled closing or schedule change, we carefully pivot to include something that is equally as wonderful and interesting, so that the quality of your experience is never at risk. ☺️
Not included: Airfare or transportation, outside of that listed in the trip itinerary, alcoholic drinks or meals ordered “on your own”, gratuities for drivers and hotel staff
DATES & TRIP PRICE
- October 15-20, 2024
- Trip Price:
- $3,970 USD per person, single occupancy
- $3,570 USD per person, double/twin occupancy
- Room Description:
- All rooms are spacious suites, complete with full bathroom, kitchenette, sitting area and private entrance
- Arrival/departure airport is Rome Fiumicino
- View our terms and cancellation policy here