Captivating Flower Photography with Lucy Ketchum, May 26-30, 2024
CAPTIVATING FLOWER PHOTOGRAPHY with Lucy Ketchum
Creating Enchanting Floral Scenes
Join Lucy in Italy as you learn her unique approach to capturing beautiful and magical floral scenes to create your own stunning collection of images. Through engaging hands-on exercises, as well as personalized feedback, you’ll gain the skills and confidence to take your floral photography to the next level – all while being immersed in the stunning, natural beauty of Tuscany.
From the inviting avenues of a medieval village to an organic flower farm in Tuscany’s spectacular Val d’Orcia, you’ll be surrounded by beauty and inspiration as you learn the secrets of Lucy’s unique approach to creating enchanting floral scenes.
ABOUT Lucy Ketchum
Lucy Ketchum is an award winning photographer based in Houston, Texas, whose artistry lies in capturing enchanting floral scenes with her unique photographic technique. Her work transports viewers to a realm of beauty, reminiscent of fairytales, and she draws followers and students from across the globe.
With over 10 years of experience in the industry, Lucy has established herself as a master of creative flower photography with her unique style. Her work has been featured in different magazines like Click and BEC Magazines, has been recognized as artist of the year for Looks Like Film and has won multiple awards and recognitions.
In addition to her photographic work, Lucy is also an experienced educator, with a friendly and approachable style. She has led workshops and courses from the basics of photography to teaching her own artistic approach, sharing her knowledge and experience with photographers of all levels.
Learn more about Lucy’s work on her website www.lucyketchum.com and on her Instagram account @Lucy.ketchum
IN THIS ITALY-INSPIRED WORKSHOP You’ll Learn …
- how to prepare and arrange your flowers, and other elements
- how to set up the ideal shot
- the different elements of a floral scene
- how to compose a shot with different elements of composition
- the differences between macro and closeup techniques
- how to experiment with angles, backgrounds, and framing
- the importance of lightning in flower photography
- how to shoot in golden hour and/or overcast conditions
- how to choose the right aperture to create the best depth of field
- ways to create dimension in your images
- techniques for shooting flowers in the field
- the importance of color in flower photography
- how to use color theory in flower photography
- ways to evoke emotions and tell stories with your images
- tips and tricks to create bokeh
- the use of additional creative tools, like double exposures and creative lenses
- how to create magic with fairy lights, water and reflections
- how to select the best candidates from a photoshoot
- tips to enhance your images in post-processing
- use of overlays in post-processing to add a magic touch
- tips on printing your work (papers, inks, labs, etc.)
Day 1 – Sunday, May 26: Arrival
- Highlights: Group pick-up Rome Fiumicino Airport, welcome and workshop overview with Lucy
Upon your arrival at Rome Fiumicino Airport, our private drivers will transport you to the Italian countryside, and your boutique hotel accommodations in the unspoiled village of Città della Pieve. After check in, you’ll enjoy a walking tour of the historic center of the village before gathering together for a workshop overview with Lucy. This evening you’ll enjoy aperitivo, followed by dinner prepared by the talented Chef Vito.
Day 2 – Monday, May 27: Puscina Flower Farm
- Highlights: Tour and flower photography at Puscina Flower Farm, onsite instruction with Lucy
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner
This morning, after breakfast, our drivers will transport you through the stunning Tuscan landscape as you make your way to beautiful Puscina Flower Farm – run by sisters Laura and Teresa. Here you’ll take a fascinating tour of the gardens (that feature hundreds of varieties of organically grown flowers) followed by an exciting on-site photography lesson with Lucy. You’ll also be able to cut your own flower arrangement to take back with you – so fun! Then pull up a chair and get comfortable, because a delicious lunch is served up right here, featuring exceptional products from the farm.
In the afternoon, it’s back to the studio for instruction with Lucy, using the gorgeous blooms you’ve collected at the farm, followed by a shooting session during the golden hour. Aperitivo follows, before continuing to our friends’ inviting trattoria for a delicious, regional-style dinner.
Day 3 – Tuesday, May 28: Flowers, Pasta and Pizza
- Highlights: Instruction with Lucy, pasta making lesson, village photography, pizza night
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner
This morning, after breakfast, you’ll join Lucy for a morning session of instruction. Then it’s off to our friend, Cristian’s, cozy bistro for a hands-on pasta lesson, followed by lunch – featuring your hand made pasta, of course! You’ll also enjoy a tour of Cristian’s fascinating wine cantina.
In the afternoon, after some free time, you’ll head out with Lucy to explore the winding lanes of the village (camera in hand) to capture scenes with quaint, terracotta flower pots that decorate windows, doorways and balconies. Next stop is a private home for sunset aperitivo, followed by dinner at our friends’ wood-fired pizzeria.
Day 4 – Tuesday, May 29: Vino and Vistas
- Highlights: Instruction with Lucy, visit to local winery, farewell dinner
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner
This morning, after breakfast, you’ll have free time to explore, shop or photograph on your own, before heading out to a local vineyard and wine cantina for a private tour and tasting, along with lunch. Here you can also take photos in the sweeping vineyards before heading back to our accommodations in town.
This afternoon you’ll take part in a final wrap-up session with Lucy, followed by a celebratory aperitivo and dinner, prepared by Chef Vito.
Day 5 – Wednesday, May 30: Departure
Early morning departure to Rome Fiumicino Airport
ACCOMMODATIONS Boutique Hotel Vannucci
Hotel Vannucci began as a project of Vittoria Spinola, daughter of King Vittorio Emanuele II, who fled Pisa (and an arranged marriage with her elderly husband) to start a new life with her lover in Città della Pieve. Here, she and her soon-to-be new husband, Paolo, built two villas that became luxurious holiday accommodations for wealthy Romans vacationing in the countryside. In 1903 one of the villas became Hotel Vannucci, and today it maintains the elegance and refinement of its inception, with luxurious sleeping rooms, marble bathrooms and inviting gardens. A stay here is truly special, nestled just outside the medieval walls of the historic, and unspoiled, village of Città della Pieve.
- 4 nights stay at Boutique Hotel Vannucci
- Group transportation to/from Rome Fiumicino Airport on arrival and departure days
- Private van service to/from all towns and sites included in the itinerary
- All breakfasts with a multitude of delicious choices, plus teas, juices and Italian coffee
- All delicious lunches
- All delectable dinners, accompanied by regional wines
- Entrance fees to all sites included in trip itinerary
- Daily instruction with Lucy Ketchum, plus personalized feedback
- Visit and photography lesson at organic flower farm
- Pasta-making lesson
- Cantina tour with wine tasting
Not included: Airfare, ground or water transportation outside of that listed in the trip itinerary, alcoholic drinks, wines or meals ordered “on your own”, gratuities for drivers and staff
The Unexpected is Part of the Journey: Sometimes unexpected things come up. If there is unscheduled closing or schedule change, we carefully pivot to include something that is equally as wonderful and interesting, so that the quality of your experience is never at risk. ☺️
DATES & DETAILS: 5 Days/4 Nights
- May 26-30, 2024
- Trip Price:
- $3,325 USD – $3,925 USD per person (select room type upon booking)
- Room Descriptions:
- Single: Single occupancy, single bed, private ensuite bathroom
- Classic: Single occupancy, double bed, private ensuite bathroom with walk-in shower
- Superior: Single occupancy, double bed, private ensuite bathroom with tub/shower combination
- Deluxe: Double occupancy, double bed or two singles, private ensuite bathroom with tub and shower (specifically for couples or friends traveling together)
- A $700 deposit is required to secure your space on this workshop
- Arrival/departure airport is Rome Fiumicino
- See our Terms and Cancellation Policy