Tuscan Treasures in Colored Pencil with Kristy Kutch
JOIN KRISTY KUTCH in Italy!
Dates: May 15-20, 2022
Come join Kristy Kutch for this extraordinary colored pencil workshop at your own private villa set in the gorgeous Italian countryside, and learn a vast variety of easy-to-implement techniques for improving your colored pencil sketches. From use of color to painterly effects to capturing the stunning Italian landscape, get ready to take your sketching to the next level. All of this while you enjoy delightful excursions, inspiring activities and delectable chef-prepared meals.
This small workshop group offers the opportunity for many one-on-one sessions with Kristy who is experienced at providing personalize attention to each student. Under her guidance, beginners feel comfortable and confident and experienced artists feel challenged and informed as they learn the newest tools and techniques.
ABOUT Kristy Kutch
Kristy Kutch is a graduate of Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, with both bachelor’s and master’s degrees in education, as well as a life license in teaching. She has taught almost 300 drawing workshops for students of all ages. Her educational style is friendly, relaxed, enthusiastic, and supportive of the individual student’s uniquely personal style, and she aims to meet her students (whether beginners or professionals) at their levels.
Kristy’s technique books include “Drawing and Painting with Colored Pencil” and “The New Colored Pencil”, and she has also filmed four instructional DVDs : “Colored Pencil Landscapes: Beyond the Basics”,” Colored Pencil Techniques: How to Paint Fruit”, “Watercolor Pencil Techniques: How to Paint Flowers”, and “Colored Pencil Techniques: Easy Landscape Painting”.
LEARN HOW TO…
- Blend and layer waxy colored pencils
- Create pastel-like effects with dry colored pencil pigment
- Smooth the pigment to look painterly
- Create rich, intense effects
- Use complementary colors to enhance realism
- Burnish and create highlights for shimmer and shine
- Create fine, delicate textures
- Lift and erase pigment with a variety of tools
- Incorporate watercolor pencils for dry or wet rendering
- Create fluid watercolor pencil washes
- Grate and spatter for textures and special effects
- Paint from the point of a watercolor pencil
- Use toned surfaces for landscapes
- Apply perspective hints for landscape art
- Draw no-fuss trees
- Use watercolor brushes to their best advantage
- Combine colored and watercolor pencils
- Salvage and repair “bloopers”
Day 1 ~ Sunday, May 15: Arrival Poggio alle Trese
- Highlights: Arrival from Rome Airport, welcome by team Strada Toscana, workshop overview with Kristy Kutch
Upon your arrival at Rome Fiumicino Airport, our private drivers will transport you to the Italian countryside and beautiful Villa Poggio alle Trese. After some time to freshen up and recharge, you’ll enjoy a friendly welcome by your hosting team, followed by an overview of this fabulous workshop with Kristy. Afterwards you’ll have some time to explore the villa and grounds, and to get to know your fellow students, followed by apertivo and a delectable welcome dinner.
Day 2 ~ Monday, May 16: Puscina Flowers Farm (Montepulciano)
- Highlights: tour of organic flower gardens at Puscina Flowers Farm, floral arranging lesson, instruction with Kristy
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner
This morning after a delicious breakfast at the villa, our drivers will be transporting you into the heart of Tuscany’s wine country and charming Puscina Flowers – an organic flower farm, immersed in the stunning Tuscan landscape, and run by three amazing sisters. Here you’ll take a special tour of the gardens, that feature more than 500 varieties of flowers, followed by a lesson on natural floral arranging. Afterwards, you’ll enjoy a Tuscan-style lunch served up right here at the farm, featuring Tuscan specialties.
In the afternoon you’ll return to the villa with your own flower arrangement for sketching and instruction with Kristy, followed by an olive grove walk that ends with bruschetta-making and aperitivo with delightful Paola. Dinner will be prepared right here at the villa by chef Lorenza.
Day 3 – Tuesday, May 17: Monticchiello, Bagno Vignoni, Montepulciano
- Highlights: sketching and instruction in Monticchiello & Bagno Vignoni, shopping in Montepulciano
- Breakfast and dinner
This morning after breakfast it’s off to the spectacular Val d’Orcia region of Tuscany, with its rolling hills and winding cypress lanes. First stop is the beautifully preserved medieval village of Monticchiello, with its impressive views across Tuscany, where you’ll enjoy an on-site sketching lesson with Kristy. Then it’s on to the ancient Bagno Vignoni, with its picturesque thermal spring, where you’ll continue sketching and also enjoy lunch on your own.
In afternoon you’ll continue to the Renaissance town of Montepulciano – famous for its world renown wine, Vino Nobile – where you’ll find countless subjects for sketching, as well as a variety of local shops selling everything from wine to ceramics to hand-made shoes. Irresistible! After this full day, you’ll enjoy a relaxing aperitivo and dinner back at the villa.
Day 4 ~ Wednesday, May 18: At Villa
- Highlights: instruction with Kristy, countryside walk, pasta making lesson with Lorenza
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner
After another abundant breakfast you’ll join Kristy for a morning of instruction here at the villa, followed by an oh-so-fun pasta lesson with our own chef Lorenza. Learn how Italians really make pasta, plus the secrets for pairing pasta with just the right sauce, before sitting down for a pasta lunch. So fun!
This afternoon you’ll join Kristy for an invigorating afternoon walk in the nearby countryside. You might take along your sketchbook to capture the vineyards! Then it’s back to the villa for a continued afternoon sketching session followed by aperitivo and dinner.
Day 5 ~ Thursday, May 19: San Casciano dei Bagni
This morning, after a light breakfast at the villa, you’re in for a treat as our drivers transport you to Fonteverde, a luxury thermal spa nestled in the Tuscan countryside near the village of San Casciano dei Bagni. Here you can soak in the naturally heated, mineral rich waters, known for their restorative qualities. The perfect way to relax in Tuscany!
Afterwards, it’s on to the charming village itself where you can explore the medieval alleyways before gathering for a very special lunch at our friend, Daniela’s, restaurant, situated beneath the imposing walls of the town’s castle.
In afternoon, you’ll return to the villa for a final wrap-up session with Kristy before enjoy a friendly aperitivo and farewell dinner together.
Day 6 ~ Friday, May 20: Departure
Transport to Rome Fiumicino Airport.
VENUE Villa Poggio alle Trese
Poggio alle Trese has been a part of a family estate for four centuries – an estate that includes stunning olive groves, sweeping vineyards and a precious little lake tucked into the nearby forest. The villa itself sits upon the very border of Tuscany and Umbria, an area that was prone to invasions by the Duke of Tuscany (back when feudal battles were the norm), and was lovingly restored by the family. The renovation included updates and redos to the kitchens, bedrooms and bathrooms – all done with classy, traditional touches. The result is a stately structure that reflects its history with grace, while it beckons to modern-day guests who love sumptuous sleeping rooms with characteristic touches.
- 5 nights stay at elegant Villa Poggio alle Trese (The entire villa is reserved exclusively for our group!)
- Private transportation to/from Rome Fiumicino Airport on arrival and departure days
- Private transportation service to/from all towns and sites included in the itinerary
- All breakfasts with a multitude of delicious choices, plus teas, juices and made-to-order Italian coffee
- Delicious lunches featuring regional specialties and accompanied by regional wines
- 5 delectable dinners featuring regional specialties and accompanied by regional wines
- Daily instruction with Kristy Kutch
- Entrance fees to all sites included in trip itinerary
- Daily accompaniment with a Strada Toscana team host or guide
- Restaurant gratuities
Not included: Airfare, ground or water transportation outside of that listed in the trip itinerary, alcoholic drinks, wines or meals ordered “on your own”, gratuities for drivers and villa staff
The Unexpected is Part of the Journey: At Strada Toscana we weave amazing, authentic experiences into every trip, but sometimes unexpected things come up – like an unscheduled closing at a site or restaurant. If that happens, which is rarely does, we improvise to include something equally as wonderful and interesting. The quality of your experience is never at risk, as our team is committed to excellence, along with our vast connections of local Italians.
DATES & PRICES: 6 Days/5 Nights
- May 15-20, 2022
- Trip Price:
- $3,130 USD, per person – single occupancy room with ensuite bath
- $3,030 USD per person – single occupancy room with shared bath (max 2 of same gender per bath)
- No single supplement fee!
- Traveling with a companion? Just let us know you’d like a double occupancy room.
- $500 deposit is required to reserve your space on this trip
- View our terms and cancellation policy here
- Have questions? Contact us.