Kathleen Clemons Tuscany Floral Photography - September 10-15, 2023
JOIN KATHLEEN in Bella Italia
learning from an award-winning photographer and renowned workshop leader, while being surrounded by the unique and spectacular beauty of Tuscany. The stunning flowers of this breath-taking region of Italy are your subjects – and your inspiration. This exceptional destination workshop is both a journey into flower photography and an in-depth experience of authentic Italian culture.
ABOUT Kathleen Clemons
Kathleen Clemons is an award-winning photographer, teacher, speaker, author and workshop leader from the coast of Maine. Primarily a nature photographer who specializes in photographing flowers, Kathleen is known for her creative use of natural light and unique, artistic photographs.
Lensbaby has named her the “Georgia O’Keeffe of Lensbaby Flower Photography” and her work is represented world- wide by Getty Images and several other agencies.
Kathleen teaches online classes as well as many location workshops and seminars. She has also filmed instructional classes for Craftsy, CreativeLive, and Lensbaby University and is the author of “All About Textures”.
With a background in education and a passion for both photography and teaching, Kathleen loves to teach others how to improve their photography skills and to see beyond the obvious. See more of her at work at kathleenclemons.com
IN THIS EXTRAORDINARY WORKSHOP You’ll Learn How to
- Choose the right equipment
- Select a subject
- Simplify your compositions
- Control natural light
- Use natural light to create unique, artistic photographs
- Work around less-than-desirable lighting
- Use a reflector and diffuser
- See beyond the obvious in your photography
- Decide where to focus
- Use selective and critical focus
- Choose the correct point of view
- Avoid the dreaded blob blur
- Select the right aperture
- Understand depth of field
- Isolate flowers
- Get even closer!
- Deal with backgrounds
- Recognize distractions
- Embrace the joys of bokeh and blur
- Create double and multiple exposures
- Approach post-processing techniques
- Use textures in post-processing and in the field
- Create your own textures
Day 1 – Sunday, September 10: Arrival
- Highlights: Arrival, welcome, workshop overview with Kathleen
Upon your arrival at Rome Fiumicino Airport, our private drivers will transport you to the Italian countryside, and your boutique hotel accommodations in the unspoiled village of Città della Pieve. After check in, you’ll enjoy a walking tour of the historic center of the village with trip facilitator, Pamela Haack, followed by a workshop overview with Kathleen. Afterwards it’s time to enjoy a welcome aperitivo, followed by a delectable, Tuscan-style dinner.
Day 2 – Monday, September 11: Puscina Flower Farm
- Highlights: Puscina Flower farm, onsite instruction and photography with Kathleen
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner
This morning, after a delicious breakfast at the villa, it’s off to Puscina Flowers, an organic flower farm in the heart of Tuscany’s wine country. Here you’ll enjoy a tour of the vast gardens, with more than 500 varieties of blooms, followed by real-time lessons with Kathleen – all while being immersed in flowers! Afterwards, it’s time for a Tuscan-style lunch prepared right here by the family.
In the afternoon it’s back to your home base for some free time to relax and refreshen before joining Kathleen for small-group and individualized instruction. Dinner this evening is served at a family-run trattoria, specializing in traditional, regional dishes.
Day 3 – Tuesday, September 12: Città della Pieve
- Highlights: Instruction with Kathleen, photographing window boxes, pasta making lesson
- Breakfast, lunch
This morning, after a delicious breakfast, it’s off to explore the winding, medieval avenues with Kathleen, lined with ancient red brick buildings, and dotted with colorful flower boxes. In late morning, we’ll make our way to our friend, Cristian’s, inviting bistrot, where you’ll take part in a lively pasta-making lesson, followed by lunch served up on the outdoor terrace, featuring your handmade pasta, of course.
In the afternoon, you’ll have a chance to rest and relax before joining Kathleen in the workshop space. This evening we’ll enjoy aperitivo together at a local cafe in the town’s main piazza, followed by dinner on your own (we’ll have plenty of suggestions!).
Day 4 – Wednesday, September 13: Puscina Flower Farm, Pienza
- Highlights: Puscina Flower Farm, onsite instruction with Kathleen, pizza night
- Breakfast, dinner
After breakfast this morning, you’re off once again to the flower farm for on-site lessons with Kathleen, as you immerse yourself in the beauty of the flowers of Tuscany. Afterwards, you’ll continue to the picturesque town of Pienza, overlooking the breathtaking Val d’Orcia – once of the most photographed areas in Tuscany. Here you’ll enjoy lunch on your own, along with free time for exploring, shopping and photographing the town’s charming alleyways.
In the afternoon, you’ll join Kathleen for a session of individualized and group instruction. Afterwards, it’s off to our favorite pizzeria to enjoy pizza cooked in an authentic wood-fired oven.
Day 5 – Thursday, September 14: Città della Pieve
- Highlights: Shooting in the village, saffron tasting
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner
This morning, after breakfast, it’s off with Kathleen for onsite instruction as you wander the medieval avenues, capturing textures and practicing the techniques you’ve been learning. You might also photography inside the town’s beautiful cathedral with its incredible faux marble and Renaissance masterpieces. In late morning, we’re off to Alessandro’s saffron shop for a private visit and saffron tasting – delicious!
In the afternoon, you might grab some last shots in the village before joining Kathleen for a final, wrap-up session. Aperitivo follows, served up in the inviting gardens, followed by a special farewell dinner.
Day 6 – Friday, September 15: Departure
Early morning transport to Rome Fiumicino Airport
VENUE Boutique Hotel Vannucci
Hotel Vannucci began as a project of Vittoria Spinola, daughter of King Vittorio Emanuele II, who fled Pisa (and an arranged marriage with her elderly husband) to start a new life with her lover in Città della Pieve. Here, she and her soon-to-be new husband, Paolo, built two villas that became luxurious holiday accommodations for wealthy Romans vacationing in the countryside. In 1903 one of the villas became Hotel Vannucci, and today it maintains the elegance and refinement of its inception, with luxurious sleeping rooms, marble bathrooms and inviting gardens. A stay here is truly special, nestled just outside the medieval walls of the historic, and unspoiled, village of Città della Pieve.
VIEWthe Photo Gallery
- 5 nights stay at Boutique Hotel Vannucci
- Group transportation to/from Rome Fiumicino Airport on arrival and departure days
- Private transportation service to/from all towns and sites included in the itinerary
- All breakfasts
- 3 lunches
- 4 dinners featuring regional specialties and accompanied by local wines
- Pasta making lesson
- Saffron tasting
- Pizza night!
- Two excursions to an organic flower farm in the Tuscany countryside
- Guided walks
- Daily instruction and hands-on practice with Kathleen, both small-group and individual
- Entrance fees to all sites included in trip itinerary
- Daily accompaniment with a Strada Toscana team host or guide
- Restaurant gratuities
Not included: Airfare or transportation, outside of that listed in the trip itinerary, alcoholic drinks or meals ordered “on your own”, gratuities for drivers and hotel staff
The Unexpected is Part of the Journey: Sometimes unexpected things come up. If there is unscheduled closing or schedule change, we carefully pivot to include something that is equally as wonderful and interesting, so that the quality of your experience is never at risk. ☺️
DATES & PRICES: 6 Days/5 Nights
- September 10-15, 2023 – SOLD OUT
- September 1-7, 2024 – OPENING SOON
- Trip Price:
- $3,790 USD – $4,190 USD per person (choose room type upon booking)
- $700 deposit is required to secure your space on this workshop
- Arrival/departure airport is Rome Fiumicino
- View our terms and cancellation policy here