Kathleen Clemons Tuscany Floral Photography - September 10-15, 2023
JOIN KATHLEEN in Bella Italia
learning from an award-winning photographer and renowned workshop leader, while being surrounded by the unique and spectacular beauty of Tuscany. The stunning flowers of this breath-taking region of Italy are your subjects – and your inspiration. This exceptional destination workshop is both a journey into flower photography and an in-depth experience of authentic Italian culture.
ABOUT Kathleen Clemons
Kathleen Clemons is an award-winning photographer, teacher, speaker, author and workshop leader from the coast of Maine. Primarily a nature photographer who specializes in photographing flowers, Kathleen is known for her creative use of natural light and unique, artistic photographs.
Lensbaby has named her the “Georgia O’Keeffe of Lensbaby Flower Photography” and her work is represented world- wide by Getty Images and several other agencies.
Kathleen teaches online classes as well as many location workshops and seminars. She has also filmed instructional classes for Craftsy, CreativeLive, and Lensbaby University and is the author of “All About Textures”.
With a background in education and a passion for both photography and teaching, Kathleen loves to teach others how to improve their photography skills and to see beyond the obvious. See more of her at work at kathleenclemons.com
IN THIS EXTRAORDINARY WORKSHOP You’ll Learn How to
- Choose the right equipment
- Select a subject
- Simplify your compositions
- Control natural light
- Use natural light to create unique, artistic photographs
- Work around less-than-desirable lighting
- Use a reflector and diffuser
- See beyond the obvious in your photography
- Decide where to focus
- Use selective and critical focus
- Choose the correct point of view
- Avoid the dreaded blob blur
- Select the right aperture
- Understand depth of field
- Isolate flowers
- Get even closer!
- Deal with backgrounds
- Recognize distractions
- Embrace the joys of bokeh and blur
- Create double and multiple exposures
- Approach post-processing techniques
- Use textures in post-processing and in the field
- Create your own textures
Day 1 – Sunday, September 10: Arrival Poggio alla Trese
- Highlights: Arrival, welcome, workshop overview with Kathleen
Upon your arrival at Rome Fiumicino Airport, our private drivers will transport you to the Tuscany countryside, and beautiful Villa Poggio alle Trese. After some time to freshen up and recharge, you’ll enjoy a tour of the villa and grounds with trip facilitator, Pamela Haack, followed by a workshop overview with Kathleen. Afterwards you’ll have time to explore on your own before enjoying aperitivo followed by a delectable dinner prepared by chef Lorenza.
Day 2 – Monday, September 11: Puscina Flower Farm
- Highlights: Puscina Flower farm, onsite instruction and photography with Kathleen, bruschetta lesson
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner
This morning, after a delicious breakfast at the villa, it’s off to Puscina Flowers, an organic flower farm in the heart of Tuscany’s wine country. Here you’ll enjoy a tour of the vast gardens, with more than 500 varieties of blooms, followed by real-time lessons with Kathleen – all while being immersed in flowers! Afterwards, it’s time for a Tuscan-style lunch prepared right here by the family.
In the afternoon it’s back to the villa for some free time to relax and refreshen before joining Kathleen for small-group and individualized instruction. Afterwards you’ll enjoy a delicious bruschetta lesson and aperitivo, followed by dinner cooked alle brace (over coals).
Day 3 – Tuesday, September 12: Castiglione, Città della Pieve
- Highlights: Instruction with Kathleen, castle visit in Castiglione, photographing window boxes, pizza night
- Breakfast and dinner
This morning, after another abundant breakfast, you’ll enjoy an exhilarating lesson with Kathleen that centers around photographing wildflowers. Then it’s off to the medieval hill town of Castiglione, perched above Lago Trasimeno, where you’ll enjoy a tour of the town’s imposing castle, with its sweeping views of the lake. Afterwards you can grab lunch on our own at one of the villages’s inviting trattorie.
In the afternoon, after a stop back at the villa to relax and recharge, it’s on to the medieval hill town of Città della Pieve, with its ancient red brick buildings dotted with flower boxes. Here you’ll visit the 15th century cathedral, along with the narrowest avenue in Italy, before taking some time on your own to explore and shop. Aperitivo this evening is served up at sunset in a private garden, followed by wood-fired pizza at our favorite pizzeria.
Day 4 – Wednesday, September 13: Parco Villa Trecci, Cetona
- Highlights: Instruction and photography with Kathleen, pasta making lesson, Parco Villa Trecci, wine tasting and dinner at a local winery
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner
This morning after breakfast, you’ll join Kathleen for a morning of onsite photography and instruction in the villa’s gardens. Then it’s time to don an apron for a delightful pasta-making lesson with our own chef Lorenza, where you’ll learn to make one of Tuscany’s most popular pastas, along with the perfect sauce to pair with it.
After lunch, featuring your handmade pasta, of course, you’ll have some free time before our drivers arrive to transport you to spectacular Parco Villa Trecci with its vast gardens overlooking the vineyards and rolling hills near Montepulciano. Here you’ll learn the history of the villa and gardens, and enjoy time with Kathleen photographing the amazing variety of flowers and plants in this spectacular setting. Then it’s off to our friends’ cozy wine cantina in the beautiful village of Cetona. Here you’ll enjoy a private wine tasting and light dinner, followed by gelato in the town’s inviting piazza.
Day 5 – Thursday, September 14: Puscina Flower Farm, Pienza
- Highlights: Puscina Flower Farm, onsite instruction with Kathleen, walking tour Pienza
- Breakfast and dinner
After breakfast this morning, you’re off once again the flower farm for some on-site lessons with Kathleen, as you immerse yourself in the beauty of the flowers of Tuscany. Afterwards, you’ll continue to the picturesque town of Pienza, overlooking the breathtaking Val d’Orcia – once of the most photographed areas in Tuscany. Here you’ll enjoy a fascinating walking tour with a local guide, followed by lunch on your own, along with free time for exploring, shopping and photographing along the town’s charming alleyways.
In the afternoon, it’s back to the villa for a wrap-up session and image critique with Kathleen. Then it’s time to gather together with your fellow travelers for a special farewell aperitivo and dinner.
Day 6 – Friday, September 15: Departure
Early morning transport to Rome Fiumicino Airport
VENUE Villa Poggio alle Trese
Poggio alle Trese has been a part of a family estate for four centuries – an estate that includes stunning olive groves, sweeping vineyards and a precious little lake tucked into the nearby forest. The villa itself sits upon the very border of Tuscany and Umbria, an area that was prone to invasions by the Duke of Tuscany (back when feudal battles were the norm), and was lovingly restored by the family 12 years ago. The renovation included updates and redos to the kitchens, bedrooms and bathrooms – all done with classy, traditional touches. The result is a stately structure that reflects its history with grace, while it beckons to modern-day guests who love sumptuous sleeping rooms with characteristic touches.
- 5 nights stay at elegant Villa Poggio alle Trese (The entire villa is reserved exclusively for Kathleen’s group!)
- Group transportation to/from Rome Fiumicino Airport on arrival and departure days
- Private transportation service to/from all towns and sites included in the itinerary
- All breakfasts with a multitude of delicious choices, plus teas, juices and made-to-order Italian coffee
- 4 delicious lunches featuring regional specialties and accompanied by local wines
- 5 delectable dinners featuring regional specialties and accompanied by local wines
- Daily instruction and hands-on practice with Kathleen, both small-group and individual
- Entrance fees to all sites included in trip itinerary
- Daily accompaniment with a Strada Toscana team host or guide
- Restaurant gratuities
Not included: Airfare, ground or water transportation outside of that listed in the trip itinerary, alcoholic drinks, wines or meals ordered “on your own”, gratuities for drivers and villa staff
The Unexpected is Part of the Journey: At Strada Toscana we weave amazing, authentic experiences into every trip, but sometimes unexpected things come up – like an unscheduled closing at a site or restaurant. If that happens, which it rarely does, we improvise to include something equally as wonderful and interesting. The quality of your experience is never at risk, as our team is committed to excellence, along with our vast connections of local Italians.
DATES & PRICES: 6 Days/5 Nights
- September 10-15, 2023
- Trip Price:
- $4,070 USD per person, single occupancy with ensuite bathroom
- $3,790 USD per person, single occupancy with shared bathroom (max 2 of same gender per bathroom)
- $3,790 USD per person, double occupancy with ensuite bathroom (for 2 travelers sharing a room)
- Room selection presented upon booking
- $500 deposit is required to secure your space on this workshop!
- View our terms and cancellation policy here