Click or swipe to view the slideshow below!
Favolosi Florals! Tuscany with Elizabeth St. Hilaire, September 9-14, 2024
JOIN ELIZABETH ST. HILAIRE in Italy
… for Favolosi Florals! Tuscany – her ever popular collage experience that is the ideal combination of personalized art instruction, spectacular inspiration and stunning florals. Open to students of all artistic levels, each day brings a new collage or paper-painting lesson with Elizabeth, all based on the gorgeous flowers of Tuscany. Although some painting experience is helpful, it is definitely not necessary.
Plus…Favolosi Florals! Tuscany is more than a collage workshop. It’s a week of fellowship, camaraderie and fun beyond your wildest dreams – situated at a medieval village, nestled in the gorgeous Italian countryside. In addition to carefully crafted, daily lessons with Elizabeth St. Hilaire, you’ll enjoy excursions, hands-on experiences and private visits with locals that are nothing less than extraordinary.
LEARN How To…
- arrange flowers in a free-flow still-life (ideal for collage)
- easily identify basic shapes in flowers
- create a floral underpainting – the foundation for your collage
- select color based on a desired palette
- paint, stain, stamp and pattern your own papers (sooo fun!)
- use the gel plate to create a plethora of patterns and designs
- use color in unique ways to create visual interest
- use hand-painted and found papers that infuse your floral project with your own personal style
- develop imagery and form so that your collage has depth and interest
- incorporate essential light and shadow into your paper painting
- master directional ripping (Elizabeth’s signature technique) so that your project has a painterly look
- use Elizabeth’s paper paintings technique to add interest to your project
- varnish and display your paper painting
- post your artwork on social media
DAY 1 – September 9: Arrival
- Highlights: Arrival, village walking tour, introduction with Elizabeth
Upon your arrival at Rome Fiumicino Airport, our private drivers will transport you to the Italian countryside, and your boutique hotel accommodations in the unspoiled village of Città della Pieve. After check in, you’ll enjoy a walking tour of the historic center of the village with trip facilitator, Pamela Haack, followed by a workshop overview with Elizabeth. Afterwards it’s time to enjoy a welcome aperitivo, followed by a delectable, Tuscan-style dinner prepared by Chef Vito.
DAY 2 – September 10: Puscina Flower Farm
- Highlights: Instruction with Elizabeth, visit to organic flower farm, flower arranging class
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner
This morning, after a delicious breakfast, you’ll join Elizabeth in the studio to prepare a canvas panel for your project, and begin painting papers that you’ll later use as you create your floral collage. Lunch will be served up at nearby Cafe Matucci, followed by a bit of free time.
In the afternoon our drivers will transport you to an organic flower farm in the heart of Tuscany’s beautiful Val d’Orcia. After a tour of flower gardens (where sisters Teresa and Laura grow more than 600 varieties of flowers), you’ll enjoy a natural, flower arranging class, before heading back out into the gardens to cut and gather your own flowers – to become the subject for your collage. Afterwards it’s time for sunset aperitivo and dinner under the old olive tree – right here on the farm.
DAY 3 – September 11: Paper Painting and Pasta
- Highlights: Instruction with Elizabeth, paper painting techniques, pasta-making lesson
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner
This morning, after breakfast, get ready for a fun-filled, inspiring day with Elizabeth! First, you’ll be heading to the onsite studio to learn a plethora of methods for painting paper. From stamps to rollers to stencils – and so much more – you’ll be learning Elizabeth’s signature techniques and tips for creating a multitude of designs and textures on your painted papers, plus she’ll reveal her best tips for developing imagery and form. Lunch today is served up at nearby Cafe Matucci.
In the afternoon, you’ll continue painting a variety of papers, as you develop your special, Italy-inspired floral collage project. This evening it’s off to our friend, Cristian’s, tucked-away bistrot for aperitivo and a hands-on pasta-making lesson – followed by dinner, featuring your hand made pasta, of course!
DAY 4 – September 12: Ripping, Gluing and Pizza
- Highlights: Instruction with Elizabeth, pizza night
- Breakfast, dinner
This morning after breakfast, it’s off to the studio with Elizabeth to learn a variety of ripping and gluing techniques that will bring your floral collage to life. Plus Elizabeth will demonstrate how to give your project a painterly feel, movement and depth. Lunch today is on your own – plus you might grab a gelato at our favorite gelateria.
In afternoon, it’s back to the studio for an afternoon of inspiring instruction with Elizabeth. This evening we meet up for a short walk to aperitivo at a private location, followed by Tuscan-style pizza at our favorite family-owned pizzeria.
DAY 5 – September 13: Wrap-up and Celebration
- Highlights: Instruction with Elizabeth, gallery finale with Elizabeth
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner
This morning, after breakfast, you’ll be heading to the onsite studio for instruction and one-on-one assistance from Elizabeth. At this stage it’s so exciting to see your piece coming together! Lunch today is served up at nearby Cafe Matucci, followed by a bit of free time.
In the afternoon you’ll put the final touches on your favolosi florals! collage before gathering together for a gallery celebration and special farewell dinner – the perfect culmination to an extraordinary week.
DAY 6, September 14: Departure
Early morning departure to Rome Fiumicino Airport.
VENUE Boutique Hotel Vannucci
Hotel Vannucci began as a project of Vittoria Spinola, daughter of King Vittorio Emanuele II, who fled Pisa (and an arranged marriage with her elderly husband) to start a new life with her lover in Città della Pieve. Here, she and her soon-to-be new husband, Paolo, built two villas that became luxurious holiday accommodations for wealthy Romans vacationing in the countryside. In 1903 one of the villas became Hotel Vannucci, and today it maintains the elegance and refinement of its inception, with luxurious sleeping rooms, marble bathrooms and inviting gardens. A stay here is truly special, nestled just outside the medieval walls of the historic, and unspoiled, village of Città della Pieve.
VIEW the Photo Gallery
- 6 days/5 nights at Boutique Hotel Vannucci
- Group transportation by private transportation service to/from Rome Fiumicino Airport on arrival and departure dates.
- Private transportation service to/from all towns and sites included in the itinerary
- All breakfasts
- 4 lunches lunches
- 5 dinners
- Evening aperitivo
- Elizabeth St. Hilaire’s in-depth lessons, demonstrations, presentations and one-to-one instruction
- Fluid acrylic paints in a variety of colors and acrylic collage adhesive
- Canvas panels
- Visit to organic flower farm
- Hands-on flower arrangement class
- Pasta-making lesson
- Pizza night
- Time on your own for shopping and exploring
Princeton Catalyst #8 Short Handle Filbert Brush for collage glue application
Paint brush types and sizes are very personal, so Elizabeth asks that you bring your own preferred brushes to paint your acrylic underpainting. The brushes she suggests are Princeton Velvetouch, if you are looking for guidance. Or you might bring a handful of your own favorite brushes.
Elizabeth also suggests bringing a 9×12 pad of Yasotomo Sketch Rice Paper PLUS any other papers that you might want to incorporate into your work, such as, old book pages, letters, sheet music, postage stamps and personal ephemera.
All other supplies are provided.
Also not included: airfare, meals or transportation outside of that which is specifically listed in the trip package, gratuities for hotel staff and drivers
The Unexpected is Part of the Journey: Sometimes unexpected things come up. If there is unscheduled closing or schedule change, we carefully pivot to include something that is equally as wonderful and interesting, so that the quality of your experience is never at risk. ☺️
ABOUT ELIZABETH ST. HILAIRE
Elizabeth St. Hilaire is an award winning full-time artist, art workshop instructor, and published author. She is an Artist Educator for Golden Paints, a former Ambassador for Princeton Brush, and Creative Team Artist for Gel Press. Her work is also featured on Fredrix Canvas packaging.
Her unique mixed-media artwork is created from torn tidbits of hand-painted paper which she glues down over an acrylic under-painting. St Hilaire’s collages are collected and have been exhibited both nationally and internationally. Images of her work are reproduced and available nationwide on wall canvas, household items, stationery, clothing, jewelry, and more.
Elizabeth is a Signature Member of National Collage Society, holds a BFA from Syracuse University, and has been working in her medium for over 15 years. She has published seven books on her process. She also enjoys painting en Plein Air and has participated in the Wekiva Paint Out (FL), New Smyrna Beach Paint Out (FL), and the Sedona Plein Air Festival (AZ).
Visit Elizabeth’s website at PaperPaintings.com
DATES AND DETAILS
- September 9-14, 2024
- Trip Price:
- $3,495-$3,995 USD (choose room type upon booking)
- A $700 deposit is required to book your space
- Arrival and departure airport Rome Fiumicino
- View our Terms and Cancellation Policy