Swipe Left or Click the Arrows Below to View the Slideshow!
Photo Storytelling in Tuscany with Diane Evans - September 25 - October 1, 2022
PHOTO STORYTELLING IN TUSCANY with Diane Evans
A PHOTOGRAPHY ADVENTURE FOR WOMEN IN BELLA ITALIA
Get ready to capture your thrilling Tuscany travel story with stunning photos that reflect your unique creative style. With Diane’s expert instruction you’ll learn how to compose your photos for the most impact, create a storytelling series of your adventures and even document delectable food experiences with your camera. Of course that’s just the beginning! Surrounded by sweeping vineyards, ancient olive groves and charming medieval villages, you’ll learn how to tell a story with your photos, instead of just taking a snapshot. Based at a boutique, village hotel (family-owned and reserved exclusively for you and your fellow photographers), each day brings a new photography experience, with both 1:1 and group guidance with Diane. This is a not-to-be-missed opportunity!
LEARN HOW TO …
- Tell a story with your photos instead of just taking a snapshot
- Compose your photos for the most impact and best viewer experience
- Understand depth of field and how it impacts your photos
- Incorporate different perspectives when composing
- Capture all the components of your travel story
- Emphasize the subject in your photos
- Connect with your inner creative
- Capture spontaneous photos of people
- Evoke emotion through your photos
- Incorporate blurred motion and learn about the impact it has on your photos
- Isolate details that are crucial for your story
- Recognize and eliminate distractions from your photos
- Move beyond the camera settings struggle
- Develop your own personal style
- Create photos in various kinds of light
- Play with your camera and try new techniques
- Let go of your inner critic and learn to love your photos
- Create a storytelling series of your experiences
- Create documentary style photos of food and food preparation
- Evaluate a scene and determine which photos to create and how
ABOUT Diane Evans
Diane is a photography mentor for creatively + culturally curious people who want to take unique photos of their global adventures. Through her simple yet thorough step-by-step methods, she shows adventurous souls how to turn down the volume of their inner critic, develop the confidence to be creative with their camera, and take travel photos that don’t just look stunning, but tell a stunning story.
In addition to her 1:1 coaching sessions and online courses, Diane’s extraordinary Tuscany workshop is designed to inspire you to move past technology overwhelm, connect with your creative side, and tell the story of your unique Tuscany adventures through amazing photos you’re proud to share.
You can learn more about Diane by visiting her website at PhotoFluent.
Day 1 ~ Sunday, September 25: Arrival San Casciano dei Bagni
- Highlights: Arrival from Rome Airport, orientation with Diane Evans, welcome aperitivo
Upon your arrival at Rome Fiumicino Airport, our private drivers will transport you to the Italian countryside and your historic accommodations on the outskirts of San Casciano dei Bagni, one of Tuscany’s most beautiful, unspoiled villages. After some time to freshen up and recharge, you’ll enjoy a friendly welcome by your hosting team, followed by an overview of this amazing workshop with Diane Evans. Afterwards you’ll have some time to get to know your fellow trip participants, followed by a special aperitivo and welcome dinner served in owner, Daniela’s, chic restaurant, nestled beneath the walls of the town’s medieval castle. This is where you’ll enjoy lunches and dinners throughout your stay!
Day 2 ~ Monday, September 26: Ficulle
- Highlights: Walking tour of Ficulle, photography with Diane, ceramics demo, truffle hunt & truffle tasting
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner
This morning, after a delicious breakfast, you’ll be heading to the Umbrian village of Ficulle, with its breathtaking views over the hills of Tuscany. Here you’ll enjoy a walking tour with delightful local guide, Bianca, with plenty of opportunities to capture shots of panoramic views and winding, medieval alleyways. Then it’s time to make a stop at our friend, Fabio’s, fascinating ceramic shop, where you’re in for a treat as he demonstrates for you how Ficulle’s rustic cookware has been hand thrown for centuries. Afterwards, you’re invited for lunch in Fabio’s cozy trattoria, in his former wine cantina, where you’ll enjoy typical local dishes served up in Fabio’s ceramic cookware. What a fabulous food photography opportunity!
In the afternoon, it’s back to San Casciano dei Bagni for some free time to relax or take a walk through the village, before meeting up with our friend, Alessandro, for a truffle hunt in the nearby forest! Along with a local truffle hunter (tartufaio) and his dogs, you’ll try your luck at finding some precious truffles. This evening, both aperitivo and dinner in Daniela’s restaurant, include dishes featuring truffles – what a treat!
Day 3 – Tuesday, September 27: Puscina Flower Farm
- Highlights: Puscina Flower Farm, tour & onsite mentoring with Diane, village photography
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner
This morning after breakfast, you’ll be heading to our friends’ family-run, organic flower farm with more than 500 varieties of flowers, situated in the heart of Tuscany’s wine country. Here you’ll enjoy a private tour and photography mentoring with Diane, as you capture the beauty of this Tuscan farm. Lunch follows, served up, rustic-style, under the ancient olive tree, and featuring specialties from the farm – including their own sheep cheeses, olive oil and wine.
In the afternoon, you’ll return to San Casciano for a bit of rest and relaxation before joining Diane for an on-site photography lesson along the winding avenues of the village. From the town’s 14th century stone well to a plethora of panoramas, photography opportunities are virtually everywhere! This evening you’ll enjoy aperitivo here in the town’s main piazza, followed by a chef-prepared dinner at Daniela’s.
Day 4 ~ Wednesday, September 28: Val d’Orcia, Pienza
- Highlights: Val d’Orcia, town of Pienza, photography mentoring with Diane, wine tasting
- Breakfast, dinner
This morning, you’re off on an early start as our drivers will transport you on one of the most scenic drives in Tuscany, through the stunning Val d’Orcia and its classic Tuscan scenes of sheep farms, wheat fields and winding cypress-lined lanes. Here you’ll have the opportunity, with Diane’s expert guidance, to capture some gorgeous shots with the special morning light that is fabulously unique to Tuscany. Then it’s on to the lovely town of Pienza, and a break at a local coffee shop in the village, before exploring the village with your camera, and enjoying lunch on your own at any one of the inviting trattorie.
In the afternoon, it’s back to San Casciano for some free time to explore, walk or rest. This evening brings a special tasting of Daniela’s family’s exceptional wines in the cozy enoteca (wine tasting room), followed by dinner featuring classic Tuscan dishes.
Day 5 ~ Thursday, September 29: Città della Pieve
- Highlights: Instruction with Diane, walking tour Città della Pieve, pizza night
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner
This morning after breakfast, you’ll enjoy an in-depth lesson with Diane, followed by an excursion to the nearby village of Città della Pieve, with its unique red-brick buildings and layers of history, for a walking tour with Bianca where you’ll learn about the layout of a castle town, along with a private visit inside the town’s 15th century cathedral. Lunch is served up in the main piazza under the towering brick bell tower.
In the afternoon you’ll continue your village tour with Bianca, followed by onsite photography mentoring with Diane and time on your own to shop and wander. Be sure not to miss Francesca’s organic shop, Fabio and Giovana’s fashion boutique or La Fema – an artisan shop that sells exceptional local gastronomic specialties. Then we’ll gather together for sunset aperitivo in a private location before continuing to our friend, Lorenza’s, restaurant for pizza-making and dinner!
Day 6 ~ Friday, September 30: San Casciano dei Bagni
- Highlights: photography lesson, Fonteverde Spa, Roman baths & archeological site, aperitivo & dinner in the vineyard
- Breakfast, dinner
This morning after breakfast, you’ll join Diane for a final in-depth lesson before heading to nearby, elegant Fonteverde Spa for a soak in its amazing, thermally heated, mineral-rich pools. These luxurious waters have been used since before ancient Roman times for their vast wellness benefits, so take your time and enjoy! Lunch is on your own, right here poolside in the spa cafe.
In the afternoon, it’s back to the hotel for some free time before gathering together with Diane, and your fellow photographers, for a walk to the family vineyard. Along the way you’ll make a stop at an incredible archeological park to see the remains of Roman baths and a newly found Roman temple. Fascinating! Once at the vineyard, you’re in for a treat as we enjoy aperitivo and dinner right here, while gazing up at the town’s romantic castle. What a special experience at the end of a very special workshop!
Day 7 ~ Saturday, October 1: Departure
Early morning departure for Rome Fiumicino Airport
VENUE & ACCOMMODATIONS ~ Boutique Hotel Sette Querce
Your accommodations are chic, boutique Hotel Sette Querce, nestled on the outskirts of the medieval hill town of San Casciano dei Bagni, known for its natural thermal springs and breathtaking views across Tuscany. A former inn, Hotel Sette Querce is family owned and run, with exceptional attention paid to its quaint, colorful decorations and spacious sleeping rooms – each with its own private entrance. Breakfasts are served right here at the hotel, while lunches and dinners are served just up the hill at owner, Daniela’s, stylish restaurant, nestled beneath the stone walls of the town’s imposing castle.
- 6 night stay at boutique Hotel Sette Querce, reserved exclusively for your group!
- Private transportation to/from Rome Fiumicino Airport on arrival and departure days
- Private transportation service to/from all towns and sites included in the itinerary
- All breakfasts
- 3 lunches
- 6 delectable dinners featuring regional specialties and accompanied by regional wines
- Private, guided tours
- Truffle hunting excursion
- Wine tasting
- Aperitivo in the vineyard
- Tour of Roman baths archeological site
- Pizza night!
- Entrance to Fonteverde Spa and thermal pools
- Daily in-depth lessons, onsite mentoring, and photo feedback with professional photographer, Diane Evans
- Instructions on what to bring and how to prepare for the retreat (to be supplied before the trip)
- Camera Settings Toolkit to help you become more comfortable with your camera before you arrive (supplied before the trip)
- $200 off the From Snapshots To Stories group mentorship program
- $50 off a 1:1 Coaching Session with Diane
- A live, recorded, online critique and photo editing session following the retreat
Not included: Airfare, ground or water transportation outside of that listed in the trip itinerary, alcoholic drinks, wines or meals ordered “on your own”, gratuities for drivers and villa staff.
The Unexpected is Part of the Journey: At Strada Toscana we weave amazing, authentic experiences into every trip, but sometimes unexpected things come up – like an unscheduled closing at a site or restaurant. If that happens, which it rarely does, we improvise to include something equally as wonderful and interesting. The quality of your experience is never at risk, as our team is committed to excellence, along with our vast connections of local Italians.
DATES & PRICE: 7 Days/6 Nights
- Dates: September 25 – October 1, 2022
- Trip Price:
- $3,980 USD per person, Single Occupancy w/Ensuite Bath
- $3,780 USD per person, Double Occupancy w/Ensuite Bath
- $500 deposit is required to reserve your space on this trip, followed by 10 monthly trip payments (for a limited time)
- Please see our Terms and Cancellation Policy.
- Please see our FAQs and Covid-19 Updates.