Le Rose della Toscana with Alicia Schwede ~ May 21-25, 2022
A FLORAL IMMERSION in Spectacular Tuscany!
May in Tuscany is the season of roses! Come join Alicia Schwede for her exclusive floral design workshop in Italy that is an immersion into the beauty of flowers – and an all-out celebration of roses. Get ready to learn Alicia’s expert strategies, insider techniques and must-know tips for designing stunning floral arrangements and installments, in a setting that has inspired countless creatives for centuries. All this while you enjoy spectacular side trips into the Tuscan countryside, delectable chef-prepared meals and unforgettable cultural experiences.
As the founder of Flirty Fleurs, an amazing blog and design company that Alicia created to share the best of the floral industry with other floral designers, Alicia’s experience in all-things-floral is always evident. From Instagram lives to extensive blog posts to print publications, her knowledge and easy-going manner makes learning from her a true joy! Check out Flirty Fleurs to learn more!
A NOTE from Alicia
“Sharing my love of flowers is where I find one of my greatest joys. For me, the special reward is when a student has an a-ha moment, or when they complete an arrangement, or when they share their beautiful new arrangement with others. I also enjoy watching connections being made in my classes, new friendships formed – it is very important to me to create an environment where people connect and feel welcome. I love what I do, whether it is designing flowers for a sweet bride, writing about the flower industry, or teaching fellow flower lovers, and I am thankful everyday for this flower filled journey I’m on.”
COME LEARN HOW TO…
- design large scale arrangements in Alicia’s distinct, breath-taking style
- create a low, flowing centerpiece in a compote vessel (the bell of the ball!)
- design a lush bridal bouquet with fresh roses from the villa’s garden
- create an armature of forged branches – even grape vine stock from the vineyard – as the base of a bridal bouquet
- design a stunning installation on an archway or gazebo
- create a tablescape with mixed-matched containers to achieve a cohesive, flowing effect (the secret of a stunning tablescape!)
- choose containers that compliment your flowers and desired effect
- best ways to prepare a vessel for arranging
- design adorable, wearable floral pieces (you’re going to love this session!)
- handle flowers the proper way from start to finish
- photograph your arrangements from the correct angle for a smart, professional look (essential for social media)
- apply Alicia’s tips and tricks for sharing images of your work on Instagram
Day 1 – May 21: Arrival Tenuta Poggio Martino
- Highlights: Group pick-up Florence Peretola Airport, tour of villa and grounds, workshop overview with Alicia
- Lunch, aperitivo, dinner
Upon your arrival at Florence Peretola Airport, our private drivers will transport you to the Tuscany countryside and beautiful Tenuta Poggio Martino, where you’ll enjoy a light lunch followed by time to unpack and recharge.
Next, you’ll gather together with your fellow students for a tour of the villa and grounds, along with a workshop overview with Alicia. Afterwards it’s off to the neighbor’s winery where you’ll enjoy an apertivo with bruschetta, as you overlook the sweeping vineyard, followed by a special welcome dinner cooked alle brace – over coals.
Day 2 – May 22: Puscina Flower Farm
- Highlights: Tour and flower-gathering at Puscina Flower Farm, onsite instruction with Alicia, wine tasting
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner
This morning, after breakfast, you’ll travel through the heart of Tuscany’s wine county to charming Puscina Flower Farm – run by sisters Laura and Teresa. Here you’ll enjoy a delightful tour of the gardens that features more than 500 varieties of flowers, followed by flower selection (oh, the roses!) and onsite instruction with Alicia. Then it’s time to enjoy a casual, farm-style lunch, overlooking the rolls hills of Tuscany.
In the afternoon, it’s back to the villa (with all those gorgeous flowers you’ve collected!) for an afternoon session of instruction with Alicia. In the evening, it’s time for a sunset wine tasting followed by a regional-style dinner, served up here at the villa.
Day 3 – May 23: Parco Villa Trecci, Montepulciano
- Highlights: Instruction with Alicia, gardens of Parco Villa Trecci, shopping and exploring in Montepulciano
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner
After breakfast it’s time to join Alicia for today’s exciting session – right here at the villa – where you’ll learn her best floral design techniques, with a particular focus on roses and other May blooms. Afterwards it’s time for a casual lunch, served up right here at the villa.
After lunch, and perhaps an espresso under the gazebo, it’s off to beautiful Parco Villa Trecci – a historic villa overlooking the spectacular Val d’Orcia. Here you’ll enjoy a tour of the gardens, and learn the villa’s fascinating history. Plus the photo-ops in these vast gardens are simply amazing! Afterwards, it’s off to the Renaissance town of Montepulciano, where you’ll enjoy free time to explore or shop your way along the fabulous, winding avenues, followed by a delicious dinner at our friends’ exceptional osteria.
Day 4 – May 24: At Villa
- Highlights: Instruction with Alicia, pasta-making lesson, stylized photo shoot with Sara Cencetti, farewell dinner
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner
This morning, after breakfast, you’ll join Alicia for today’s inspiring class session, where you’ll be working on very special floral arrangement for an afternoon photo shoot with talented Italian photographer, Sara Cencetti. Later in the morning, it’s off to the neighbor’s winery for an oh-so-fun pasta-making lesson followed by lunch featuring (you guessed it), your hand-made pasta.
In the afternoon, you’ll continue your session with Alicia, as Sara arrives and begins the stylized photo shoot – featuring your gorgeous floral compositions. This evening brings a special farewell aperitivo and dinner served up poolside, weather permitting.
Day 5 – May 25: Departure
This morning our drivers will transport you to Florence Peretola Airport
WHO Should Attend
- flower enthusiasts
- floral hobbyists
- beginning florists
- experienced floral designers
- event planners
- wedding planners
- lifestyle bloggers
This is workshop is limited in size, so sessions with Alicia are beautifully tailored to YOUR level of experience!
BONUSES and Extras
- Your own private single occupancy sleeping room (no single supplement fee!)
- All rooms situated in apartments with a fully equipped kitchen
- Private transportation to/from all excursions in the trip itinerary
- Floral studio space (with 24 hour access)
- Alicia’s advanced floral techniques
- Q&A with Alicia
- Alicia’s Instagram tips and tricks
- Stylized photos of your floral arrangements
- Tablescaping for chef-prepared meals
- Private Facebook group for sharing and learning
- Pasta-making lesson
- Wine tasting
- Floral apron
- Gallery show finale with aperitivo
VENUE Tenuta Poggio Martino
Poggio Martino is a family estate perched atop a panoramic hill in the heart of Tuscany, looking east towards Cortona and west towards Montepulciano. Originally a countryside farmhouse, with extensive olive groves, sweeping vineyards and rolling wheat fields, the estate was carefully restored 20 years ago, preserving its rural Tuscan style and original architectural features. Antique furnishings decorate the cozy sleeping rooms, framed by massive chestnut beams and dramatic brick archways – each a part of an apartment, complete with a fully furnished kitchen and outdoor sitting areas. The extensive gardens and inviting swimming pool – along with the estate’s panoramic position – create a classic Tuscany atmosphere that is impossible to resist. .
- 4 nights stay at Tenuta Poggio Martino (The entire estate is reserved exclusively for our group!)
- Group transportation to/from Florence Peretola Airport on arrival and departure days
- Private van service to/from all towns and sites included in the itinerary
- All breakfasts with a multitude of delicious choices, plus teas, juices and Italian coffee
- 3 delicious lunches featuring regional specialties and accompanied by regional wines
- 3 delectable dinners featuring regional specialties and accompanied by regional wines
- 1 pizza night!
- Daily instruction with Alicia, both small-group and individual
- Stylized photo shoot
- Entrance fees to all sites included in trip itinerary
- Daily accompaniment with a Strada Toscana team host or guide
- Restaurant gratuities
Not included: Airfare, ground or water transportation outside of that listed in the trip itinerary, alcoholic drinks, wines or meals ordered “on your own”, gratuities for drivers and villa staff
The Unexpected is Part of the Journey: At Strada Toscana we weave amazing, authentic experiences into every trip, but sometimes unexpected things come up – like an unscheduled closing at a site or restaurant. If that happens, which is rarely does, we improvise to include something equally as wonderful and interesting. The quality of your experience is never at risk, as our team is committed to excellence, along with our vast connections of local Italians.
DATES & PRICES: 5 Days/4 Nights
- May 21-25, 2022
- Trip Price:
- $3,590 USD per person – single occupancy room with double bed and private bath
- $3,490 USD per person – single occupancy room with double bed and shared bath (max 2 of same gender per bath)
- A $500 deposit is required to secure your space on this workshop
- See our Terms and Cancellation Policy
- See our Covid Policies