Fiori della Toscana with Alicia Schwede ~ April 30 - May 4, 2023
FIORI DELLA TOSCANA with Alicia Schwede
Join Alicia for an immersion into the beauty of flowers at her exclusive floral design workshop in Italy. Get ready to learn Alicia’s expert strategies, insider techniques and must-know tips for designing stunning floral arrangements and installments, in a setting that has inspired countless creatives for centuries. All this while you enjoy spectacular side trips into the Tuscan countryside, delectable chef-prepared meals and unforgettable cultural experiences.
As the founder of Flirty Fleurs, an amazing blog and design company that Alicia created to share the best of the floral industry with other floral designers, Alicia’s experience in all-things-floral is always evident. From Instagram lives to extensive blog posts to print publications, her knowledge and easy-going manner makes learning from her a true joy! Check out Flirty Fleurs to learn more!
A NOTE from Alicia
“Sharing my love of flowers is where I find one of my greatest joys. For me, the special reward is when a student has an a-ha moment, or when they complete an arrangement, or when they share their beautiful new arrangement with others. I also enjoy watching connections being made in my classes, new friendships formed – it is very important to me to create an environment where people connect and feel welcome. I love what I do, whether it is designing flowers for a sweet bride, writing about the flower industry, or teaching fellow flower lovers, and I am thankful everyday for this flower filled journey I’m on.”
LEARN HOW TO…
- design large scale arrangements in Alicia’s distinct, breath-taking style
- create a low, flowing centerpiece in a compote vessel (the bell of the ball!)
- design a lush bridal bouquet with fresh roses from the villa’s garden
- create an armature of forged branches – even grape vine stock from the vineyard – as the base of a bridal bouquet
- design a stunning installation on an archway or gazebo
- create a tablescape with mixed-matched containers to achieve a cohesive, flowing effect (the secret of a stunning tablescape!)
- choose containers that compliment your flowers and desired effect
- best ways to prepare a vessel for arranging
- design adorable, wearable floral pieces (you’re going to love this session!)
- handle flowers the proper way from start to finish
- photograph your arrangements from the correct angle for a smart, professional look (essential for social media)
- apply Alicia’s tips and tricks for sharing images of your work on Instagram
Day 1 – April 30: Arrival
- Highlights: Group pick-up Rome Fiumicino Airport, tour of villa and grounds, workshop overview with Alicia
- Lunch, aperitivo, dinner
Upon your arrival at Rome Fiumicino Airport, our private drivers will transport you to the Tuscany countryside and beautiful Poggio alle Trese, where you’ll enjoy a light lunch followed by time to unpack and recharge.
Next, you’ll gather together with your fellow students for a tour of the villa and grounds, along with a workshop overview with Alicia. Then it’s time to enjoy aperitivo together, followed by dinner prepared by chef Lorenza.
Day 2 – May 1: Puscina Flower Farm
- Highlights: Tour and flower-gathering at Puscina Flower Farm, onsite instruction with Alicia
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner
This morning, after breakfast, you’ll travel through the heart of Tuscany’s wine county to charming Puscina Flower Farm – run by sisters Laura and Teresa. Here you’ll enjoy a delightful tour of the gardens, featuring hundreds of varieties of flowers, followed by onsite instruction with Alicia. Then it’s time to enjoy a casual, farm-style lunch, overlooking the rolls hills of Tuscany.
In the afternoon, it’s back to the villa (with all those gorgeous flowers you’ve collected!) for an afternoon session of instruction with Alicia. In the evening, you’ll gather with your fellow travelers for a sunset apertivo and bruschetta-making lesson, followed by another regionally-inspired dinner.
Day 3 – May 2: Parco Villa Trecci, Montepulciano
- Highlights: Instruction with Alicia, gardens of Parco Villa Trecci, shopping and exploring in Montepulciano
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner
After breakfast this morning at the villa, you’ll join Alicia for today’s exciting session to learn her best floral design techniques, using the spectacular spring blooms you’ve collected at the flower farm. Afterwards you’ll enjoy a casual lunch, served up right here at the villa.
After lunch, and perhaps an espresso under the gazebo, it’s off to beautiful Parco Villa Trecci – a historic villa overlooking the spectacular Val d’Orcia area of Tuscany. Here you’ll take a tour of the vast gardens and learn the villa’s fascinating history. Plus the you’ll have plenty of photo-opts! Afterwards, it’s off to the Renaissance town of Montepulciano, along with our exceptional local guide, Giulia, to explore the winding avenues and perhaps get in some shopping. The evening wraps up with a delicious dinner at our friends’ exceptional osteria.
Day 4 – May 3: At Villa
- Highlights: Instruction with Alicia, stylized photo shoot with Sara Cencetti, wine pairings farewell dinner
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner
This morning, after breakfast, you’ll join Alicia for today’s inspiring class session, where you’ll be working on a special floral arrangement for an afternoon photo shoot.
Lunch will be served here at the villa, followed by time to relax before Italian photographer, Sara Cencetti, arrives to begin the stylized photo shoot of your gorgeous floral compositions. This evening brings a special farewell aperitivo and dinner, paired with regional wines.
Day 5 – May 4: Departure
This morning our drivers will transport you to Rome Fiumicino Airport
WHO Should Attend
- flower enthusiasts
- floral hobbyists
- beginning florists
- experienced floral designers
- event planners
- wedding planners
- lifestyle bloggers
This is workshop is limited in size, so sessions with Alicia are beautifully tailored to YOUR level of experience!
VENUE Poggio alle Trese
Poggio alle Trese has been a part of a family estate for four centuries – an estate that includes stunning olive groves, sweeping vineyards and a precious little lake tucked into the nearby forest. The villa itself sits upon the very border of Tuscany and Umbria, an area that was prone to invasions by the Duke of Tuscany (back when feudal battles were the norm), and was lovingly restored by the family. The renovation included updates and redos to the kitchens, bedrooms and bathrooms – all done with classy, traditional touches. The result is a stately structure that reflects its history with grace, while it beckons to modern-day guests who love sumptuous sleeping rooms with characteristic touches
- 4 nights stay at Poggio alle Trese (The entire villa is reserved exclusively for your group!)
- Group transportation to/from Rome Fiumicino Airport on arrival and departure days
- Private van service to/from all towns and sites included in the itinerary
- All breakfasts with a multitude of delicious choices, plus teas, juices and Italian coffee
- 3 delicious lunches featuring regional specialties and accompanied by regional wines
- 4 delectable dinners featuring regional specialties and accompanied by regional wines
- Entrance fees to all sites included in trip itinerary
- Daily instruction with Alicia, both small-group and individual
- Alicia’s advanced floral techniques, Instagram tips and tricks and more!
- Stylized photo shoot of your floral arrangements
- Tablescaping for chef-prepared meals
- Private Facebook group for sharing and learning
- Pasta-making lesson
- Gallery show finale with aperitivo
Not included: Airfare, ground or water transportation outside of that listed in the trip itinerary, alcoholic drinks, wines or meals ordered “on your own”, gratuities for drivers and villa staff
The Unexpected is Part of the Journey: At Strada Toscana we weave amazing, authentic experiences into every trip, but sometimes unexpected things come up – like an unscheduled closing at a site or restaurant. If that happens, which is rarely does, we improvise to include something equally as wonderful and interesting. The quality of your experience is never at risk, as our team is committed to excellence, along with our vast connections of local Italians.
DATES & PRICES: 5 Days/4 Nights
- April 30 – May 3, 2023
- Trip Price:
- $3,790 USD per person – single occupancy, ensuite bath
- $3,490 USD per person – single occupancy, shared bath (max 2 of same gender per bath)
- $3,490 USD per person – double occupancy, ensuite bath
- A $500 deposit is required to secure your space on this workshop
- See our Terms and Cancellation Policy