Saving Italy's Treasures Insider Tour
SAVING ITALY’S TREASURES Insider Tour
We couldn’t be more excited to announce our newest insider tour, where we’re pulling out all the stops! In short, Strada Toscana has teamed up with a local chapter of Italy’s National Trust, Fondo Ambiente Italiano (FAI), to bring you our most extraordinary trip experience to date.
FAI was established in 1975 on the same model as the National Trust of England, Wales and Northern Ireland. It is a private, non-profit organization with a steadfast purpose to protect Italy’s culture, history and art treasures, which might otherwise be lost.
Through Strada Toscana’s unique partnership with the organization, we are able to offer you exclusive access to incredible historic sites, hidden treasures, and artistic masterpieces – most of which are not even known by the general public.
GET READY to Explore and Experience
To launch this extraordinary partnership, we’re inviting YOU, along with just a few other travelers with a spirit of adventure, to join us in exploring extraordinary sites, taking part in hand-selected experiences, and assisting FAI to help bring an awareness to these precious elements of Italy’s heritage.
As a guest on this unprecedented tour, you’ll also automatically become a member of FAI, as you share in our mission to shed light on Italy’s hidden treasures, many of which are in danger of fading away into history.
Not only that! As a member of this unique group of modern day explorers, you’ll also enjoy unforgettable camaraderie, an energetic atmosphere and, of course, delectable meals – things that are already a hallmark of Strada Toscana tours.
GET READY to Explore and Experience
We’ve pulled out all the stops to create a one-of-a-kind trip experience for those who are looking for more than the average tour of Italy. On this unprecedented trip itinerary, you get insider access, like never before – to sites that are exceptionally fascinating, stunningly beautiful and, for the most part, unknown – even to locals!
And that’s just the beginning. Get ready to be an active participant…
EXPLORING? You bet!
This is an exploratory tour, which means that each day you’ll be visiting numerous castles, abbeys, churches, hamlets, ruins and parks, steeped in history.
You’ll discover hidden treasures, rarely seen artistic masterpieces and historic sites that are only accessible with the assistance of local residents or our partner members of FAI.
This also means that you can expect to be walking every single day, and there are times when we might be out and about exploring and touring sites for much of the day.
Walking ranges from easy/leisure to moderate. You can expect hard cobblestones, uneven pavement, steps and steep hills. We caution that this trip is not the right fit for those who have difficulty walking or have a health-related condition that would limit participation and/or impede or inconvenience the rest of the group.
The details of the itinerary for Saving Italy’s Treasures: Insider Tour, are being created, in real time, behinds the scenes. But here’s an overview of what you can expect to experience. (Wowza!)
- Private visits to historic churches, abbeys and sanctuaries with precious frescoes and hidden crypts
- Accompaniment by FAI representatives, for exclusive access to sites that are normally closed to the public
- Castles, castles, and castles! From crenellated towers to walled hamlets, get ready to walk the ramparts – literally
- Learning opportunities galore, including the ancient fishing culture of Trasimeno (amazing!) along with the local traditions of lace-making, weaving, ceramics, glass and more
- Private, invitation-only lunches, aperitivi and wine tastings, hosted by custodians of regional landmarks and sites
- Guided visits to local museums that house little-known histories of micro-zones
- Demonstrations by local artisans
- Private viewings of priceless masterpieces by artists, such as, Perugino, Raffaello and Signorelli
- Guided tours featuring collections of precious art and historic objects
- Evening aperitivo hour for reflecting and sharing
Get ready to be flexible! On the Saving Italy’s Treasures: Insider Tour, our daily trip outings might be adjusted as we go along.
The Unexpected is Part of the Journey! At Strada Toscana we weave amazing, authentic experiences into every trip, but sometimes unexpected things come up. If a site has an unscheduled closing, we improvise to include something equally as wonderful and interesting. The quality of the trip is never at risk, as our team is committed to excellence, along with our vast, local, Italian connections.
- Group transportation by private van service to/from Rome Fiumicino Airport on arrival and departure dates
- Daily, private ground transportation to/from all medieval hill towns, sites and locations
- All breakfasts, all dinners and lunches
- Activities and experiences to remember for a lifetime
- Accompaniment by Pamela Haack, along with team Strada Toscana
- 7 days/6 nights at elegant Villa Poggio alla Trese, situated in the picturesque countryside near the charming Tuscan hill town of Chiusi
- All abundant breakfasts, featuring fresh-baked Tuscan pastries, organic sheeps’ milk yogurt, local cheeses, seasonal fruits, organic cereal, fresh eggs and cold cuts plus Italian caffè, cappuccino and herbal teas
- All regionally inspired dinners with local wines
- All lunches
- Entrance fees to all sites
- Guided tours
- Wine tasting
- Olive oil tasting
- Evening aperitivo hour for chatting, sharing and relaxing
Not included: Airfare, meals, alcoholic drinks, buses, trains or boat transportation outside of that which is specifically listed in the trip package, gratuities for villa staff and drivers
Your accommodation are Poggio alle Trese, a 17th century villa, nestled along the border of Tuscany and Umbria, near the town of Chiusi (Tuscany). The villa boasts two kitchens, several lounge areas, dining hall, breakfast hall, sleeping rooms decorated with family antiques, swimming pool, outdoor patios, barbecue “house”, gazebo, wisteria-covered aperitivo terrace and so much more… View photos of Villa Poggio alle Trese here.
DATES & DETAILS
- April 25 – May 1, 2021
- Insider Trip Price: $2,590 USD per person
- $500 deposit is required to book your space on this tour
- First payment occurs 60 days after booking
- Need to cancel within 60 days from booking? We’re waiving our regular cancellation fees! Your deposit of $500 is refundable up to 60 days from booking, minus a $30 administrative fee
- 10 month payment plan
- All sleeping rooms are private. Some sleeping rooms share a bathroom (max 2 of same gender per bathroom)
- Maximum 12 participants
- No added fees