Amalfi Coast and Isle of Capri ~ Cultural Walking Tour
EXPERIENCE LA BELLEZZA
Take a deep breath and fall into the embrace. This is the Amalfi Coast, where jagged mountains plunge their way to the sea, brightly colored houses cling to cliff-sides and fishing boats bob atop impossibly turquoise waters. A land like this can’t be “seen”, it must be experienced – taken in with all of your senses.
Walk in the footsteps of Roman Emperors along seaside mule-trails that weave through Mediterranean forests and lemon-scented hillsides – offering stunning, panoramic views of the sparkling azure sea. Sip a glass of Prosecco as the sun sets over Capri’s yacht-studded harbor, meander the narrow alleyways of Sorrento – lined with lemon shops – and dine on delectable, fresh seafood in a local trattoria.
Each day brings just the right combination of invigorating walks, escorted visits, thrilling options and a healthy dose of spontaneity – so that you can fully immerse yourself in the regional cultural and stunning beauty of the Amalfi Coast and Capri.
DATES AND PRICES: 7 Days/6 Nights
- May 5-11, 2019 – SOLD OUT
- September 15-21, 2019
SUMMER SALE through September 1, 2018: Regular Trip Price: $4,595, SALE PRICE: $4,195! Save $400!!! Price is per person, based on double occupancy.
Single Supplement $795 USD solo traveler, single occupancy
WALKING RATING: Our walks are rated as easy to moderate, with durations on average of 1.5 – 3 hours and distances of 5-10 kilometers (3-7 miles). Although most routes are relatively short, you will encounter cobblestones, rugged pathways, uneven steps and steep ascents and descents in order to reach stunning views and hilltop villages. Our walks ideal for active travelers. No hiking experience is necessary, but we do recommend walking regularly before your trip, including up hills, whenever you can. Although non-walking options are provided throughout the tour, we caution that this trip is not the right fit for those who have difficulty walking or have a health-related condition that would limit participation and/or impede or inconvenience others.
THE UNEXPECTED IS PART OF THE JOURNEY
At Strada Toscana we weave amazing, authentic experiences into every trip, but sometimes unexpected things come up. If Mario calls to tell us they’re pressing olives at just this moment, off we go (I mean, we wouldn’t let you miss his newly pressed olive oil!), and if a site has an unscheduled closing, we improvise to include something equally as wonderful and interesting.
On that note, if our usual boutique hotels can’t accommodate us (which rarely happens), you can rest assured you’ll stay somewhere of an equal or higher level. The quality of our tours is never at risk, as our team is committed to excellence, along with our vast, local, Italian connections.
DAY 1: Sorrentine Peninsula
- Welcome and trip orientation, Bay of Naples seaside walk, aperitivo, welcome dinner
AFTERNOON: We meet in Napoli Centrale train station from which our drivers transport you to another world – the spectacular Sorrento Peninsula and our boutique accommodations in laid-back Sant’Angello. After check in you’ll have time to get settled in before we meet up for a trip orientation and brisk walk that ends with a seaside apertivo as you enjoy a breath-taking sunset over the famous Bay of Naples – with Mt. Vesuvius as our stunning backdrop.
EVENING: Enjoy a delectable Sorrento-style dinner at our friends’ seaside restaurant.
ACCOMMDATIONS: Hotel Crawford (1 night)
4 star Hotel Crawford is situated outside Sorrento in the quiet town of Sant’ Agnello, along an elegant and tree-lined avenue where you’ll find unique Art Nouveau villas. With newly renovated rooms and breathtaking views of the bay of Naples from its rooftop terrace, Hotel Crawford is the ideal place from which to begin an exploration of the stunning Sorrentine Peninsula.
DAY 2: Capri & Anacapri
- Ferry to Capri, walk or chairlift to Mont Solaro, church and hermitage of Santa Maria, island boat tour (optional/extra)
- Breakfast and dinner
MORNING: Enjoy a hearty breakfast and get your camera ready, as we’re off on a 20 minute ferry ride to the island of Capri. As your luggage is whisked off to our next hotel, we shuttle to Anacapri where you can hop on the chairlift for a panoramic 12 minute ride to the summit of Mont Solaro – or opt to walk to the summit instead. Either way, you’re in for incredible views that stretch across the Mediterranean Sea. On the walk down we’ll make a stop at the 16th century church and hermitage of Santa Maria – home to a depiction of the Virgin Mary beloved by local sailors and coral divers.
LUNCH: Picnic lunch on Mont Solaro
AFTERNOON: We return to Capri for check in at our chic, villa accommodations, after which you can spend the afternoon as you wish.
- Option 1: Head to the marina to meet up with our friend, Paolo, for a 2-hour scenic boat ride that includes an up-close view of Capri’s breath-taking coves and jagged, rocky shores. (optional/extra)
- Option 2: Take time on your own to explore the chic, boutique-lined avenues of Capri where you can shop for perfume, sandals, lemon-infused soaps – or perhaps a sassy, Capri-style outfit.
EVENING: Dinner at our friends’ trattoria
ACCOMMDATIONS Villa Silia (2 nights)
Staying in a villa on the isle of Capri, now that’s just a dream come true. Villa Silia, with its brightly tiled suites and apartments, rooftop terrace and private garden, sits just a few steps from the chic via Camerelle – famous for its boutique shops – and a virtual maze of alleyways, characteristic of Capri. In just a few minutes you can reach pathways that tower over the azure sea or crystalline beaches.
DAY 3: Capri
- Villa Jovis ring walk, tour of Villa Fersen, Arco Naturale ring walk
MORNING: Open your window at the villa and let in Capri’s fresh, ocean breezes. This, and a still-warm cornetto, is the ideal way to begin this day of exploration. Duck into one of the local grocery stores for a made-to-order panino as we being our walk to Capri’s stunning eastern tip to explore the ruins of Villa Jovis – Emperor Tiberius’ enormous villa – with its imposing position on cliffside that plunge down to the sea. Always the way you’ll take in sweeping views of Capri’s yacht-studded marina and hillside villas. Afterwards we relax together and enjoy our picnic lunch in one of the most beautiful parks in Italy – it’s like picnicking on top of the world!
- Option 1: Pizzolungo Trail. Enjoy an afternoon walk to take in the wild, coastal beauty of the island. Of all Capri’s panoramic walks, the Pizzolungo is one of the most breathtaking, with a footpath that hugs the southern coast of the island and offers staggering views of the sea, the Sorrentine peninsula and the famous rock formations in the sea – the Faraglioni.
- Option 2: Shop in Capri at your leisure, or simply meander the winding avenues.
- Option 3: Relax on the rooftop terrace back at the villa.
EVENING: Dinner on your own in Capri
DAY 4: Sorrento
- Ferry to Sorrento, historic center, scenic walk along Via Capo
- Breakfast and dinner
MORNING: After breakfast at the villa, we make our way to the marina and an early-morning ferry ride to Sorrento’s Marina Grande – nestled along the base of dramatic cliffs with their faces towards the Bay of Naples. As your luggage is transported to our next hotel, we continue to Sorrento’s historic center with its inviting, narrow alleyways lined with shops – including Sorrento’s famed lemon vendors selling everything from lemon soaps & limoncello to impressive Cedro lemons the size of melons. From here we continue on an easy hour walk along Via Capo to a hidden beach at the tip of the Sorrentine Peninsula.
LUNCH: Overlooking Capri in the distance, we enjoy a casual picnic lunch.
AFTERNOON: We shuttle to our cliff-side accommodations, boutique Hotel Corallo, with its inviting terraces, overlooking the azure sea. After check-in, take some free time to get settled in and to enjoy the mesmerizing views.
- Option 1: Walk down the winding stairway to the nearby spiaggia where you can dip your toes in the Mediterranean and enjoy a cool drink at the seaside bar that sits tucked into the rocky cliff.
- Option 2: Relax on the hotel’s panoramic terrace and take in the views.
- Option 3: Walk to Sorrento’s charming centro storico for shopping and meandering on your own.
EVENING: Dinner at Corallo’s excellent restaurant, featuring regionally inspired specialties
ACCOMMODATIONS Hotel Corallo (3 nights)
4 star Hotel Corallo, with its fresh, updated rooms, is situated on a clifftop with panoramic terraces and views of the Gulf of Naples, Vesuvius and the Sorrentine peninsula. The centre of Sorrento and Tasso Square with its characteristic alleyways is just a 20 minute walk away. The former villa was a meeting point for artists and intellectuals such as the great Luigi Pirandello, who stayed here in the 1930’s.
DAY 5: Positano & Amalfi
- Positano’s alleyways, Amalfi Sentiero Mulini ring walk, Amalfi historic center
MORNING: After some cappuccino and an ample breakfast, we shuttle along the winding Amalfi coastline to Positano where you’ll enjoy free time to grab a second cappuccino and explore the picturesque alleyways at your own pace. Then we continue to gorgeous Amalfi, the dramatic, fan-shaped village that opens towards the sea, surrounded by devastatingly beautiful scenery along the steep slopes of the Monti Lattari. We grab a picnic lunch at the local grocery and begin our hearty walk along the spectacular Sentiero Mulini with its evocative abandoned paper mills and panoramic views of Amalfi below, including a stop at our friend, Maria’s, private home and panoramic terrace for a cool lemon water. Stop for a moment and take it all in! This is one of the most beautiful walks in all of the Amalfi coast!
LUNCH: Enjoy a picnic lunch amidst the ruins of the centuries-old ferrie.
AFTERNOON: Enjoy some time on your own in Amalfi before we shuttle back to Sorrento. You might tour the beautiful 9th century Duomo di Amalfi, dedicated to Saint Andrew, or stroll the colorful seaside promenade. Or perhaps you’d prefer to cool your heels at an inviting cafe or indulge in an artiginal gelato. You’ve earned it!
EVENING: Dinner on your own at the hotel, in Sant’ Agnello or in Sorrento.
DAY 6: Sorrento & Environs
- Sorrento hillside walk, tour of Pia’s Sorrento lemon farm, limoncello demonstration, seaside aperitivo
- Breakfast and dinner
MORNING: This morning, after a delicious seaside breakfast, we head out by foot to explore one of Sorrento’s lesser-known trails that offers more breathtaking views of the Mediterranean Sea. Our walk ends at il Pizzo, a cliffside park where you can enjoy a picnic lunch overlooking the sea.
LUNCH: Picnic in Parco il Pizzo
AFTERNOON: Enjoy time on your own to relax on the nearby spiaggia or on the hotel’s inviting terrace.
LATE AFTERNOON: We gather together for a short walk to our friend, Pia’s, 4th generation lemon farm – where you’ll also find centuries-old olive trees tucked into the grove alongside citrus-laden trees that will leave you speechless. Along with a friendly limoncello-making lesson, you’ll enjoy tastings of the area’s exceptional olive oil and mouth-watering mozzarella – along with a glass of vino as we watch the sun set over the sea.
EVENING: Celebratory aperitivo at Pia’s lemon farm, followed by a catered dinner under the lemon trees – and the stars.
- Options and flexibility. You’re uniquely you, and we think that’s fabulous! That’s why we provide you options and flexibility each and every day. Prefer a bit of time on your own? Choose an explore-on-your-own option. Wanting more steps? Choose an optional, extra walk. Tailor each and every day to suit your unique desires.
- Memorable accommodations for 6 nights in hand-selected boutique hotels
- All breakfasts, 2 lunches and 4 dinners served with regional wines
- Full-time experienced trip leader/walking guide, local guides and experts, behind-the-scenes support staff and support vehicle(s)
- Tours, visits and hands-on experiences with local residents and artisans
- Private land transportation throughout the trip
- Daily guided walks, plus non-walking options: WALKING RATING: Easy to moderate, with durations on average of 1.5 – 3 hours and distances on average 5-10 kilometers (3-5 miles) – ideal for active travelers with or without hiking experience. You can expect hard cobblestones, uneven pavement, steps and steep hills. In addition, elevators are not available at our boutique hotel accommodations. Although non-walking options are provided throughout the tour, we caution that this trip is not the right fit for those who have difficulty walking or have a health-related condition that would limit participation and/or impede or inconvenience others.
- Gratuities for hotels and meals
Not included: Airfare, ground or water transportation outside of that listed in the trip itinerary, alcoholic drinks, wines or meals ordered “on your own”, gratuities for drivers
The Unexpected is Part of the Journey: At Strada Toscana we weave amazing, authentic experiences into every trip, but sometimes unexpected things come up. If Mario calls to tell us they’re pressing olives at just this moment, off we go (I mean, we wouldn’t let you miss his newly pressed olive oil!), and if a site has an unscheduled closing, we improvise to include something equally as wonderful and interesting. On that note, if our usual boutique hotels or B&Bs can’t accommodate us (which rarely happens), you can rest assured you’ll stay somewhere of an equal or higher level. The quality of our tours is never at risk, as our team is committed to excellence, along with our vast, local, Italian connections.
WHY CHOOSE a Strada Toscana Tour?
- YOU’RE NOT JUST A NUMBER. We care deeply about our guests. In fact, we think of our small groups as a kind of family of like-minded travelers.
- SMALL GROUP – BIG BENEFITS. Our maximum small-group size is 14, which means we’re able to stay in centrally located, boutique hotels (that often have limited rooms), eat in tucked away, family-run restaurants (that are always the best!) and use twin Mercedes Benz vans to reach restricted areas in historic villages.
- WE’VE GOT YOUR BACK. Our support staff is always at hand to help you with everything from translating a menu to finding that special leather purse.
- GORGEOUS & COMFY. You stay in upscale, boutique hotels with beautiful sleeping rooms, ensuite bathrooms and lovely touches that reflect the character of the region.
- BEST VALUE. Because we’re destination experts and operate only in Italy, we know how to get the BEST quality for the very best price – that we then pass along to you. Our tours are an extraordinary value. Period.
- YOU GET RIGHT TO IT. Spend less time transferring around in vans and more time experiencing. Your accommodations are in ideal locations for stepping outside to walk and explore.
- PRIVATE DRIVERS. Strada Toscana teams up with exceptional drivers who own their own vans and their own businesses – and are really more like family. No conglomerates and no outside services.
- AUTHENTICITY. Our trip leaders and guides are locals who are from the areas in which we tour. They know the region, the sites and the people like the back of their hand.
- EXCEPTIONAL MEALS. The owner-run, top-notch restaurants on our tours are extraordinary, which means you enjoy delectable dinners in a welcoming, friendly atmosphere.
Learn more about our unique approach to traveling in Italy.